Buffalo Creek

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Fry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Buffalo Creek

Post by Fry »

Went down to buffalo ceek today to check it out as i haven't fished there yet and i can see why alot of people catch some big barra and salmon down there, but for some reason all i seemed to catch was very small Powertail!!!!! :fubird: about 35 in 3hrs to be exact. I noticed a few boofs in the mangroves on the other side of the creek but no action on the ramp side i headed down buff and sat on the bank where a small creek joins which with this rain i thought would have been a good spot but maybe i was wrong! Last year i caught three fish so my new years resolution to catch more fish this year is goin ok so far but not the fish i want :banghead: maybe some of you landbased veterans can help me out here with a few tips i spend hours going through current and old posts on different locations and techniques(lures,softies etc) i know fishing is fishing and i enjoy the relaxtation but the frustration of no fish worth keeping or taking a pic of is getting to me.....Somebody please help :|

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Buffalo Creek

Post by Mud »

Hi Fry.
THe thing with Buff creek is that you have to listen on here for reports that people are getting them there. You can get big barra there and its true you could snag one there any time but for the most part they tend to be at particular times of the year. I've not heard of Salmon being caught there but theres always a chance.
Listen for reports from here and be prepared to travel out of the city. When you say u caught 3 fish last year do you mean 3 barra or three keepers of any species? What sort of skills do you have? What gear are you using? Do you have a boat? What sort? What vehicle do u have? All these things factor into where you should go to fish. There are places that suit people just getting into fishing and places that suit those who are experienced but not with Barra.
A great way to get experience is to put out a call to tag along with someone who knows what they are doing...just chip in for fuel and be helpful if you are being a deckie and Im sure someone will find a seat for you.
You are absolutely doing the right thing tolliing through the old posts here but keep in mind that fishing here is very seasonal and places that fished well two months ago wont be the same now. Thats the local knowledge. What is likely to fire with the conditions that are happening now.
Cheers
Mud
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
troamaru
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by troamaru »

Mud wrote: Thats the local knowledge. What is likely to fire with the conditions that are happening now.
Cheers
Mud
Thats probably the best way you can answer that question!
Can be hard to get it right! Luck plays a big part in it too I reckon, right place right time 8)
Fry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fry »

when i say i caught 3 fish last year i mean a total of 3 fish no barra just two ox eye herrings and a tusk fish just had a poo year i think. Trying to work out best tides, gear etc for the northern waters....i spose i should fix my boat motor and get back on the water, the missus has a small 4x4 that i usually take, i use a 2-4kg 6' jigging rod with a quantum reel and 4-8kg 5'6" ugly stick overhead baitcaster combo but the reel annoys me i spend more time pissing around with it that i do fishing, so that is why i have decided overheads are not for me.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Mate -The best advise i think is to concentrate on getting a particular spot sussed- ie Buff creek- just keep researching ,listening and keep going back there again and again and observe everything- water temp, tide ,water clarity, bait ect eventually you will get it wired!- best time for buff if the turn off the low on the springs in the build up and just after the wet .If you want consistant catches learn to cast a throw net and use live bait. Also week days are always better.
GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by GoodLookinPete »

Buff creek is a good blue salmon spot, just lob some live bait in to an eddy on the first of the incoming anywhere on the sand flats, you will see the mullet getting harassed as waves of salmon go up stream, once that stops or you can no longer hold bottom go home.
Be careful of the tide, you may find yourself on an island, till that disappears too.

Others will have other advice for buff creek, and it will probably work too.
Dreamrider-
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Dreamrider- »

From my past experience, i suggest you go to the beach side of buffalo creek for salmon. As Pete said, find yourself an eddy along the beach and use squid, prawns or better, live bait. (The anchovies that you get from the castnets work really well as they lose their scales which are shiny and reflect the suns rays - hence attracting salmon)

But if you want barra, i recommend hitting up the mangroves with livebait (Y)
On my way to catch a 1 metre barra... some day
:D
Fry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fry »

Cheers guys i will keep hitting it up and researching the joint and hopefully oneday i will catch a barra
whomper37
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by whomper37 »

I was there as well but all i caught was this funny looking critter Maybe I can call this one a bill fish????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frodo, Dont wear the ring...........
The magical Bling, Bling..
I dont rap about bitches and ho's
I rap about witches and trolls.....
GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by GoodLookinPete »

Buff Creek Bill Fish comp is a go for 2011 :rofl: :rofl:
Fry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fry »

Sawfish mate
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Yep, looks like a billie to me as well. :jester: Prolific at buff creek I hear. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: