Fraud or real deal??.

Tell us about boat ramp vandals, crab pot share farmers, and others who snatched your tackle.
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fraud or real deal??.

Post by Goat Island »

went to BOM site on 16/12, and loud "sirens sound" and full screen WARNING sign stating that my laptop had been infected with a "Serious virus". Tried to close/back out/no way, and siren kept wailing loudly on what looked an official MICROSOFT side, so called the 1800 no supplied. Got informed it was a TROJAN HORSE, and they could help AT A PRICE. [349.99 USD]. I was scammed a year ago, so was very concerned again, wrote down as much details as I could manage on various screens he put up, [I had to give them control over my laptop and could see what he was doing, something I would never have been able to be guided thru]. he was on the phone most of the time and explained what he was doing, but was still concerned about being conned. Anyway, in the end, 3 hours, I talked him into pensioner rebate 100USD less, got him to remove several old programs no longer used. All good, working fine and faster, credit cards not touched, so shrugged shoulders and thought OK.

Then on 25/12 same thing again, and again going to BOM, but instead of calling new 1800 no. I called the technician from earlier, he gave me a direct to his 1800 no.
This was around 2 am, again gave him control, went back to bed, he called 2/12 hour later, fixed, no cost. SO AM I A SUCKER ??. [yes, we all know I am, but this one?].

Kai.

blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Fraud or real deal??.

Post by blowski »

I recon you have been scammed I would pay very very close attention to your credit card and any personal information you have used on your computer it may be a few weeks or months before they start ripping information or cash from your accounts... Honestly I would be taking your computer to a reputable company in Darwin to ensure they haven't got you to open a firewall so they can see you typing- you could very well go into an account online banking and have them see everything and wipe your account clean...

As a general rule of thumb anything that pops up on the internet is a scam- I would never let anyone control my computer without knowing who they where- what was the company name and the contact number you where provided with I may be able to help determine if it was legit or not
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Hate to say it but yeah I think so. Wouldn't suprise me if he has put the program there then claims to be legit. Plus giving remote access you got no idea what data he has stolen. Identity theft is huge today.
Hope I'm wrong

Scott
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

I would say 100% scammed as Per my above comment and my link below
http://www.kadansky.com/files/newslette ... 08_31.html

Honestly turn that computer off!!! Don't turn it on until you have it looked at by someone in Darwin and explain to them what happened!

Go onto another computer and change ALL your passwords! Email and Internet banking! Make sure It's from a seperate computer!!!

Cancel the card you used for payment also and let bank know you where scammed online so they can monitor your accounts plus credit card...
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

scam
contact afp http://www.afp.gov.au/policing/cybercri ... -and-scams

and https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam

plus your banks fraud section who will act very quickly because its heir $ they stand to lose.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Definitely a scam, change your passwords (on another computer)
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

Thank you all, life is hard if you are a sucker.
I took a few photos of screen in the beginning, it looked very real "Microsoft support group page", but battery ran low to soon so only 3 in beginning. Too old, stupid, alcohol soaked brain to be able to upload to this site site, Please call to help. Kai 89788803.
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

OK. just had 3 boats in, SAME ANSWER......I AM A SUCKER.

Tried to upload 'windows internet explorer warning photo page', did not work.

All said 'if unable to close or anything' pull power.

Thanks for advise to all, will change pass words all round.

Kai.
balthasar832
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by balthasar832 »

Sorry to hear that you got scammed! As a general rule of thumb, if you think something suspicious is happening with your computer then turn it off, don't use it again and get an IT persons to fix it. And NEVER EVER call the number that pops up on your screen, no matter how legitimate it looks.
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

Hi Kai,
PM sent
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

Umm, is there a chance your customers CC details are on the affected laptop Kai?
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

G'day Kai

Same thing happened to my father, it's a scam.

Unfortunately, if they have had access to your computer they can very easily access passwords for most websites you visit.

There is a lot of hacking about and some of it is slick. Visiting an infected website can cause trouble. I have been receiving spam emails from a couple of well known fishos the past few days, their Gmail accounts have been hacked.

As suggested, you need to change your passwords on a different computer and then have your PC cleaned up.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Dont forget to pull the battery from that laptop
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

OK, passwords changed, unfortunately I need laptop at present to monitor weather and river level. to the best of my knowledge, I do NOT have any ones details, other than email addresses on laptop. so if you receive anything from me [emails] , call first to verify.

River starting to rise again, 10 mm p/h, 100 away from bar, but not worried, but probably not able to cook burgers next few days. sorry.

Cheers, and a happy New year to all. Kai.
Windy05

Post by Windy05 »

The place to report Cybercrime, including online Scams is www.acorn.gov.au - (Australian Cybercrime Reporting Network).