Why fishos are thugs

Tell us about boat ramp vandals, crab pot share farmers, and others who snatched your tackle.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Why fishos are thugs

Post by Matt Flynn »

More proof ... https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 172143.htm

Multiple studies show it now. Critically important to keep lead sinkers/lures etc away from kids and expectant mums.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I remember a scientist telling us more than 40 years ago about problems with lead.

Ive got a mate who rolls his eyes whenever I say anything with the word ‘science’ in it. Scientist, scientific etc.
I asked him to name me one thing where science didn’t have a major influence. He couldn’t. but he still disbelieves science

Lead is great stuff with so many uses - but so was asbestos!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

There is a great Neil deGrasse Tyson doco about tetra ethyl lead in petrol. Even though a scientist, and then more scientists, showed clearly that it was f..king up the world decades ago, and that it could even be found in the snow in remote areas, it took years of pressure before govs did anything.

Same thing with PCBs, they new they were toxic in the 1930s ...
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Ive seen evidence that govts were aware of the hazardous nature of asbestos back as early as 1934 but didn’t ban it til 1985. They only banned the manufacture not the use. Asb cement (ac) products were stored in massive stockpiles and used for many years after 85
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

nomad wrote:Ive seen evidence that govts were aware of the hazardous nature of asbestos back as early as 1934 but didn’t ban it til 1985. They only banned the manufacture not the use. Asb cement (ac) products were stored in massive stockpiles and used for many years after 85
The asbestos 'racket' is a bigger con & money grabber than the traffic control 'industry'.
I mean fair enough, wouldn't have wanted to have been working directly in it 40 hours a week up at Wittenoom in the 60's,
but to shut down a beach and send in clowns looking like astronauts to 'recover' a 50c size piece of asbestos some joker found lying
there - really !!!! :rofl: :banghead:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Firstly asbestos is known to cause cancer. That’s a fact.
A friend's father used to work for J Hardie and like many of those working in the factory, died from asbestos related cancer.
they were so secretive about it. they paid his mother an ex-gratia amount in excess of what he would have been paid for workers comp to remain silent.
but now everyone who worked in that factory got cancer.

The simple fact is that it only takes one fibre to cause cancer. Unlike smoking that is a cumulative thing over years.

But, when I was a young carpenter, we would use angle grinders to cut the Super6 sheets of fibro with no dust suppression at all. I remember cutting a new opening in a fibro wall using the angle grinder and the dust was so bad, I had to use the grinder to blow the air clean so I could see what I was doing. At the end of the job, you would just blow the dust filled snot from each nostril and get on with it.
It was a common practice to cut it dry with a grinder. I worked with over 200 people over the years and I don’t know of any that have died from asbestos related causes. I haven’t kept track of all of them of course but….

I, like all of my mates must have been very lucky. I would hate to see how many fibres of it are in my lungs
I’ve lost more mates from skin cancers than heart disease.
When it comes to asbestos removal, things have changed. There is a whole industry that can name their own price to do a removal.
Look at Canberra Mr Fluffy debacle – they fully enclose an entire house in plastic to demolish them. Not that long ago, they used to drop them with an excavator
Asbestos has a latency period of anywhere from a week up to 30 years before any cancer can develop. Im sure it’s the luck of the draw.
I was shitting myself for many years knowing what I have done.

But its not like lead. Every kid exposed to lead will get brain development problems. It doesn’t affect us adults.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Fully agreed.

Lead - BAD
Asbestos - hmmmmm !!!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

The crumbling asbestos shed is a roadside feature down here. Should be a requirement that these sheds are removed, perhaps a subsidy or some other incentive offered to the landowners.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

slug wrote:Fully agreed.

Lead - BAD
Asbestos - hmmmmm !!!
both bad but lead is more badderest!