Barges on the Roper

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Barges on the Roper

Post by Matt Flynn »

Barges on the Roper ... http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-0 ... s/10060256

Keep in mind a second iron ore mine is also coming online in the region, and the proposed titanium mine near Roper Bar will kick off if prices go up, it will use huge amounts of water.

Enjoy the remote, pristine and clean Roper while you can.

The Roper mine planning the barges is owned by a Saudi company. Will they be made to do the right thing? Or will they just build their infrastructure where and how they like, as per the Lorella/Limmen haul road fiasco?

A reminder of what happened at the McArthur River to the south, an old press release ... http://ecnt.org.au/news/enough-is-enoug ... be-closed/

Recall also what happened to Mt Todd mine on the Edith River. Rum Jungle is still leaching into the Finniss. And there is the PFOS issue in Katherine.

Companies using rivers must pay huge bonds to clean up their mess. Or better, don't make a mess.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Barges on the Roper

Post by Matt Flynn »

Not all bad tho, might get a sealed road to Port Roper ... not everyone will like that tho.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Too easy to get out of the cleanup
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

What is not monitored is the transshipment from barges to bulk carriers in the deeper parts of the gulf waters. Out of site out of mind!

This already occurs north of West Island from Bing Bong and this new proposal will see the same off shore contamination North of Maria Island also, effectively a double contamination of just the ocean alone to load each and every ship but maybe prawns that are rich in iron are a healthy option from that area and could be a niche market.