Buffalo Creek boat ramp

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Buffalo Creek boat ramp

Post by Matt Flynn »

A Darwin friend told me Buffalo Creek boat ramp car park seemed much quieter than it was five years ago.

True or false?

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Buffalo Creek boat ramp

Post by Matt Flynn »

Someone in NT fishing retail has since told me false.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

I haven't noticed any dramatic changes in usage/numbers - I guess depends on weekend/midweek, and this time of year the number of grey nomads in town.
What has changed massively is the creek itself in respect to where the main channel now flows. Anyone not familiar with the current water course, and following the navigation/channel markers on anything less than a 3/4 high tide are in for some grief.
I've been using the creek for over 40 years and in that time have not seen such a dramatic change in such a short time.
While the eastern end mouth has progressively moved further east for quite some time requiring moving the last few markers, the authorities (whoever it is that looks after this stuff), really need to pull all the markers out and bring them back nearly a full kilometre.
I guess the issue is the way the main sandbar/channel is moving, they'll need to keep moving markers at taxpayer expense. Maybe a large warning sign at ramp to boaties to completely ignore existing marker poles?
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great info :mrgreen:
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

slug wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:21 pm I haven't noticed any dramatic changes in usage/numbers - I guess depends on weekend/midweek, and this time of year the number of grey nomads in town.
What has changed massively is the creek itself in respect to where the main channel now flows. Anyone not familiar with the current water course, and following the navigation/channel markers on anything less than a 3/4 high tide are in for some grief.
I've been using the creek for over 40 years and in that time have not seen such a dramatic change in such a short time.
While the eastern end mouth has progressively moved further east for quite some time requiring moving the last few markers, the authorities (whoever it is that looks after this stuff), really need to pull all the markers out and bring them back nearly a full kilometre.
I guess the issue is the way the main sandbar/channel is moving, they'll need to keep moving markers at taxpayer expense. Maybe a large warning sign at ramp to boaties to completely ignore existing marker poles?
Nah let them learn the hard way, like we did!
The more people that get caught by the tide and say ‘never again’ the better.
If you get hurt by the cruel temptress that is Shoal Bay, but battle on again the next trip, then you deserve another crack!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

I reckon it gets a fair amount of use
The new channel looks like a prime barra spot but I've never seen one there