NT recreational fishing awards 2017

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
bigwoody
Gold Member
Gold Member

NT recreational fishing awards 2017

Post by bigwoody »

Word is the rec fishin awards held at Parly house last week turned out to be a bit ofa dud.
The rules that the awards are under say that members of the Recreational fishing advisory committee are the judges of the awards and cannot accept or win any awards.
Seems egos have won as the bloke who took top prize is on that committee.

Optimistic Pessimist
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: NT rec fishing awards.

Post by Matt Flynn »

Dunno about the eligibility situation but I think the major prize should be for people like Hiro, Kai Hansen, Shane Compain, Tash Rammers and other leading team skippers, pioneering or long-time pro guides, social media leaders like Jason and Melita, rather than re-recognising established media people.

Up-and-coming fisherfolk and club organisers who do thankless work should be more recognised.

Kon Vatskalis would be a good choice for the naming of an excellence award, he presided over vast netting area closures.

My NT Fishing Person(s) of the Year ...

Leading Legend - Hiro
Lincoln Kirby of Barra Boat Hire working thru tough times
Jason and Melita for prolific social media
The Smarts for busiest fishing family
Perpetual Award for Goat Island's Kai Hansen
Waterfowlers Award for the Russo clan
Barra Legends for 2017 Trent, Lats, MR126
Best Flybridge Theodosius

And a raspberry prize ...
Red Hot Firemen Awards for all those caught with gill nets or share farming

My award is "leading mag sales" - the FISH FINDER TM is the NT's best-selling fishing publication by a large margin and has been for years. And the ad rates are low :D
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: NT recreational fishing awards 2017

Post by NinjaFish »

Your post is worthy of a place in the NT News Matt.

I often wonder if they just slap these events together at last minute because it's just a motion of processes. I suspect someone remembers 'we have to do this again' and runs around getting office votes and opinions and organises the event in a week or two.

Then again, votes for the mates and who's who.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: NT recreational fishing awards 2017

Post by Matt Flynn »

ty :mrgreen:

Firstly, congrats to the Individual Youth Award Charlotte Klose, Fishing Tourism Award Cobourg Fishing Safaris, The Barramundi Research Team, and the SWB Barra Challenge for their awards.

The Barra Research team in particular are kicking serious goals, and the Cobourg operation is on a beautiful part of the NT coastline.

Re the original post, I also have serious concerns from a commercial perspective.

For people looking at those awards, with one media bloke winning three major awards, and in particular the media award, you would think his print publications are leading NT sales, but they aren't.

So the media award, especially when presented with the other awards, may create a false impression with advertisers who don't make inquiries.

I am also disappointed that the new AFANT ceo hasn't posted anything here since Tristan Sloan left last Nov/Dec. Tristan was very pro-active communicating NT fishing issues on here, and still posts from time to time.

Here is an AFANT Facebook share (below) calling for nominations just before the media awards.

Amateur Fishermen's Association NT (AFANT) Darwin Game Fishing Club Palmerston Game Fishing Club Inc. Darwin Flyrodders INC. Nhulunbuy Regional Sports Fishing Club Groote Eylandt Game & Sport Fishing Club Darwin Trailer Boat Club Alligator Fishing Club Inc Katherine Game Fishing Club Inc. Darwin Barra By Foot Hiroaki Nakamura a magazine Magazine ABC Tales from the Tinny Top End Barra Series SWB Barra Challenge Corroboree Park Tavern Wildman Wilderness Lodge Point Stuart Wilderness Lodge Dhipirri Barra and Sportfishing Lodge Arnhemland Barramundi Adventures Darwin Barefoot Fishing Safaris Vision Sportfishing Anglers Advantage Fishing Charters Anglers Choice Fishing Safaris - Northern Territory Fishing Reports Darwin DNA Barra Fishing Arafura Bluewater Fishing Charters River & Reef Fishing Charters Wildside Sportfishing Darwin Red Devil Charters Cobourg Fishing Safaris Obsession Fishing Charters

Not shared with me or my NT FB page? An oversight?

Ignore manufactured hype ... North Australian FISH FINDER is the leader in fishing publication NT sales, and has been for years :mrgreen: