Poison water in Katherine

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Poison water in Katherine

Post by wonderwobler »

The contaminated water in Katherine is becoming a larger issue than Government would like, now the town pool is closed because of it.

Of course no one has mentioned that ALL the waste water in Katherine ends up in the Daly River, add this to the poison that is discharged by the Mt. Todd gold mine into the river in vast quantities the future health of the river is doubtful.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Poison water in Katherine

Post by Matt Flynn »

http://www.news.com.au/national/norther ... 5c3ff2a0cc

Tiz the way it is today. Micro plastics now present in a lot of seafood, pesticides in our fruit and veg etc, heavy metals from mines in our rivers. And all the hormone mimics.

It's a wonder people aren't being born with six eyes.

Decades ago people were told not to eat shellfish from the mouth of the Brisbane River, I wonder what it is like now.
tangles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tangles »

Have swam a lot of KLMS in that pool but fortunately don't live there any more , some people seem to try and pass the risk off , but if your swimming in it regularly or eating the fish
Produce etc further downstream it needs to be investigated.
I wonder how big defences budget is to fix it .
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I wonder how big defences budget is to fix it.

If it is in the groundwater it will be hard to fix. Might take years. What they need is fracking to spread it around ... :P :P :P
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Before my trip last year I was involved with some sampling around Williamtown; not good.

Complete Remediation of surface water will be impossible once groundwater is contaminated.
More importantly how do you 'remediate' human health?
'Mistakes' will always occur but accountability must be accepted. There is a clear line of accountability here.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

All my family spent 9 years from 90 - 98 watering the garden, drinking, showering, swimming in water from the Tindal Aquifer. Too late for me and the Missus but I'll encourage the kids to get tested. I listened with interest the Prof on 4 Corners last night talking about the immunity system of young children being affected, two on my kids fall crook very easily and very frequently, just got me thinking........
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Sorry to hear that Blinky. Must be very frustrating when authorities have known about it for years.

No doubt many of the "safe" pesticides/herbicides and other chemicals in use now will be looked back on in future as bad stuff. Sometimes tinfoil hat caution isn't so silly.

You are right NBN - but I bet no heads roll.

You'd think the water in one of the most uninhabited parts of the world would run clean ...
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wonderwobler »

Blinky, you say its too late for you and your wife, what do you mean?

As for your kids there must be many others who have been exposed to this toxin, sounds like a job for Shrine lawyers.

Interestingly RAAF Tindal and RAAF Darwin did not even rate a mention from Government when this scandal first come to light. Seems to grow in notoriety daily.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

If it is in the ground water it will be there to stay for a long time, the feasible option will be filter / distill / purify the town water and bore water supplies. I wonder if the NT government and Power and Water will use this to acquire all of the privately owned bores in the region? Would it give them more control?
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Home reverse osmosis units can be installed easily enough for drinking water, would be an essential investment in such a situation. I use one here on our rainwater, and I also put lime in the tanks. People sometimes comment on the water quality so it seems to work.