Unlicenced fishing tour operator busted

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Unlicenced fishing tour operator busted

Post by wonderwobler »

Wonder what the catch rate would be at the Daly River during the season, there are plenty of "unmarked" guided fishing boats operating down here, many are from interstate just taking "their mates" fishing, I see familiar boats and skippers with fresh crews rotating over weeks or sometimes months depending on the fishing for that year.
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

Don't u think you should report this mate, that's a pretty big accusation buddy
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wonderwobler »

Struth wazdog, are you suggesting that I dob in people who are breaking the law, or suggesting that I’m imagining that this activity is occurring.

I think you might be a little too defensive or naïve on this issue.

It is a police matter, they are well aware of this widespread behaviour, police find getting a conviction for this offence very difficult.

The evidence for a successful prosecution includes clients making and signing statements that they had paid the alleged offender for the charter.

The most successful method is to conduct a “sting” undercover police engage a suspected offender and gather evidence first hand, a time consuming and expensive process for police.

Like any bad behaviour or illegal activity the more it is tolerated the more it becomes common place and acceptable.
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

Gday Wonder Wobler, Not at all buddy, im with you mate, i hope if they are doing the wrong thing they get caught, I love the Daly River buddy and want to see the crooks busted and not take away the business from the good guides down in the Daly region. Good luck mate. Certainly wasnt having a go at you mate.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

I too have seen this on the Eastern Side of the Territory and it's been brought to my attention by the locals whom I've known. They themselves stay quiet for a while but eventually those that live there find courage (anonomously) and sort it. It either takes a while or they don't care as ultimately these illegals still bring in some revenue to small places that otherwise wouldn't happen. Food for thought really and although I disagree with the bandits, I, like some of the locals hope and wait for the law to intervene as if they knew what was happening.
The locals have a way if they wish to and its rare that they're not looking.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

They say there is a fine line between being a unofficial guide and taking a few mates out but I disagree.

If a bunch of mates decided to come from various places down south to the Daly for a fish and use just one boat (very unlikely because most would have their own boats and bring them) wouldn’t they all arrive together so they could get on the p..s at camp? ie make it a trip away with mates

They wouldn’t arrive over a period of weeks in dribs and drabs and have to use old mates tents, that doesn’t make sense.
That is a guiding operation pure and simple