Shady Camp ramp progress

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Shady Camp ramp progress

Post by Matt Flynn »

https://www.facebook.com/NT.DIPL/photos ... =3&theater

Update on Shady Camp Boat ramp upgrade - NT Govt press release

Work has commenced on the Shady Camp saltwater boat ramp upgrade. The existing boat ramp will remain open until the 13th of June which includes the coming June long weekend.

From the 13th of June the existing boat ramp will be closed and the adjacent Temporary Boat ramp will be operational from this date. The tidal access of the Temporary Boat ramp is less than the existing boat ramp, so care should be taken by boat users to ensure that they launch safely on an appropriate tide. Please follow all signage on site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shady Camp ramp progress

Post by dannett »

Time will tell.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Wonder if they did something with the massive rock the temp ramp is lined up with ??
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

Yeh, it's a big one. Maybe that's why there are reduced launching times?
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Seen plenty of people hit it when LB off the barrage on the old ramp good for a laugh might go out with the video camera for a bit of fun ...23.8 deg on our last trip .... lockjaw factor at 100%
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

From FB, the ramp in progress.

Will it rock? Or will it be a slippery slide?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Looks good but will still be tricky for the first 500m
newfisherman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by newfisherman »

How are solo fisherman going to anchor their boats while they go and park their trailers or get their trailer for the retrieve now that shady is a concrete white elephant? Especially in the early and late runoff when the water is not as high, it looks like its going to be hard for all the solo fisherman who go out that way!! Rocks on one side and fast flowing water on the other! How do we anchor our boats to concrete?
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Now that is a lot of concrete! Looks like the Greeks had a say in the size and make of that ramp. :D
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Looks good to me. Everyone needs to know that no matter what design was employed, you will not get a perfect ramp. One thing is for sure, and that is it's a huge improvement. Anything is better than backing your car into the salt water. I'm going to use it
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Looks bigger than I expected.
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

Great comment lats I agree, it has to be better than what we had. I'm sure there will be a heap of budding engineers that will have their say though!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

newfisherman wrote:How are solo fisherman going to anchor their boats while they go and park their trailers or get their trailer for the retrieve now that shady is a concrete white elephant? Especially in the early and late runoff when the water is not as high, it looks like its going to be hard for all the solo fisherman who go out that way!! Rocks on one side and fast flowing water on the other! How do we anchor our boats to concrete?

I too am mostly solo so I have a really long painter line , around 30 m in length.
It really helps when launching. loop one end to the winch post and shoot the boat off. Then drive forward to control the boat.
You can also tie off to the trees/bush, rocks etc.
newfisherman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by newfisherman »

yeah I do it a similar way when I am solo and it is easy and works well.

The old ramp had plenty of room, you could have a few boats tied up over near the mangroves, or on an anchor or sitting on the edge and another 1 or 2 launching or retrieving depending on water levels.

From the photos it looks like the ramp has angled sides so now there is less flat area to work with plus biggish rocks along the mangrove line. While my boat is not painted I don't like the idea of it sitting on rocks while tied off to trees. Hopefully mud will fill in over the rocks and cover them…

I don't think it is an improvement at all. The old system was not broken. Many people share the opinion that it was a waste of tax payers money plus I think it detracts from the adventure that shady used to be and will now encourage even heavier use of what is already an over fished area.

Its an iconic area, and big fish are only half the reason why it is iconic , the dirt road, the dirt ramp, the launch, crocs, it all an adventure,it all part of it, "its the vibe of the place ".

Many things make it a great place, slowly those things are changing, it won't be the same place which I think is a real shame.

Next the road will be sealed…. if you think it is crowded now, wait till that happens. These days people catch 3 or 4 fish in a day and think "the place is going off".. What will people think in a few years with even more fishing pressure, 1 or 2 fish maybe?

If you want an easier launch and retrieve spend some money on your trailer, set it up as a drive on/ off trailer. It does not take a fancy ramp to make and easy launch/retrieve, it takes a well set up trailer.

I guess we will really know in a few months when it is the wet again just how good or bad the ramp is.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

What he said^