Saved by Powertails

Words hardly describe the feelings when sighting colour from a trophy powertail
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Saved by Powertails

Post by Dick »

A fella my two sons work with (actually he's their boss) has been keen to have a fish for a while, new to town so I took the opportunity the other day.

He's by no means experienced and the barra have been a bit quiet so we shot up the lake for the arvo yesterday to see if we could wake up a few sooties.

An hour of not getting a touch decided the next move, we slipped around the corner and into the gorge to a spot it drops off into 18 metres. A couple of big tremblers and a basic intro into jigging had him attached to a nice one on the first drift.

The fish dragged him around the boat for a while while he got the pump and wind thing sorted. Both dog and I weren't short of good advice (though dog seemed to be directing much of her's to the fish) and eventually the thing surfaced in front. At that instant 'shock and awe' took on a new meaning for him.

Once the heart steadied he was back into it, we got nothing until I was about to pull stumps for greener fields when I noticed he had been free spooling the drop for a bit longer than normal. The penny dropped when I saw the line heading upstream as well as disappearing straight down.

"That'd be a fish." was my comment receiving a blank look in response. I suggested he might want to flick the bail over, wind and strike. He did and a smaller one about 8 kgs took him for another walk.

With dusk on us we headed back down to a large area of weed bank, water depth between 4 and 1 metres. This time it was a quick lesson on slow blooping a popper. My turn this time, three fish in about half an hour to wind up proceedings.

On the whole not a bad effort for the afternoon, certainly beats the cricket

Regards Dick
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

Thats a beautiful looking lake to fish, would like to get down to that
part of the world one day and catch stonker PT's like that one :shock: .
Old mate has to happy with that, they sure fight hard at that size, and
thats what its all about really...the fight!!!! :mrgreen:
Image Image
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

On the whole not a bad effort for the afternoon, certainly beats the cricket
Not sure I get your point Dick since.......anything beats the cricket. (Not a cricket fan...only time I ever played I was bowled for what Im told was a golden duck.....later they foolishly let me bowl an over.....Is it really possible to score 24 from a single over?...never mind)

Another nice post from never never land :mrgreen:
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

That is an impressive powertail.

Great backdrop, I have been out on Lake Kunabloodynurra a fe times and to Lake Argyle, and the scenery is fantastic.

Good Stuff Dick. :mrgreen:
noundz

Post by noundz »

Top "silver cobbler" Dick :mrgreen: Used to catch them in the nets in Argyle when I worked there ..............truth be known, those ones are not bad to eat :chef2: ....we used to sell to the restaurants in Perth :mrgreen:
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

noundz wrote:Top "silver cobbler" Dick :mrgreen: Used to catch them in the nets in Argyle when I worked there ..............truth be known, those ones are not bad to eat :chef2: ....we used to sell to the restaurants in Perth :mrgreen:
Yes dead right they are passable on the chew those ones, although I still know them its a Powertail so let them go :grin:

Had a feed of fish and chips up at the pub at the lake a few times. Not bad with a bit of batter over the top. :wink:
Regards Dick
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Nice country there Dick and them big PTs can fight ok theres no worries about that.
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

You've definately taken the chasing of the mighty Powertail to new levels Dick! Targeting them with suface lures and now cranking em up from the deep! Won't be long before we see a feature article in Fishing World "Deadly deep water jigging techniques for Kimberley Kings" :rofl: They sure go pretty hard when they get to that size. I reckon if it puts a bend in ya rod and pulls some decent string it's all good :mrgreen:

:cheers:
Melv
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Kimberley Kings"
Got a ring to it :grin: but not likely to get away with it :wink:
Regards Dick