Lethal beyond the grave.

Words hardly describe the feelings when sighting colour from a trophy powertail
pms
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lethal beyond the grave.

Post by pms »

Took my 3yo son and 18mth old kelpie down to Lee Point for a quick look this morning. Tide was about 200m out so my son and I looked for shells while the dog ran around like an idiot.

Next thing the dog goes belting past yelping like mad with something on its back :o . My first thought was that she was being attacked by a territorial bird or something, but when I finally caught her she had a crusty dead powertail (about 25cm long) with dorsal spine embedded in the skin on the back of her neck :rofl: . Guessing she must have smelled manky rotten fish and tried rolling in it. I pulled it out and reckon it must have been about 5-10mm in.

Anyone know how much poison she's likely to have got and whether we should take her to a vet? She's fine but still a bit freaked out by it and doesn't like anyone checking her neck at the moment. Hopefully it taught her a lesson about rolling in manky cr.p. Don't think so, she's an idiot.

I suppose it raises the issue of leaving them dead on the sand for people or idiot dogs to step on. Release em? Cut their spines off? Take them home to eat ( :rofl: )?

NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

Definitely best to just release them. I'm sure they're good for the environment somehow.

I too have been spiked by one from 'beyond the grave' and yes the poisen still exists although it's not as bad as when they're alive (but this is very subjective and probably more to do with where i was spiked).

I think your dog will be fine unless the spine did some internal physicaly damage. The poisen is not that 'lethal' in nature.
Unless you have a very small dog.
A_Nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by A_Nomad »

MAte, my boy Scoobie did the same down at Lee point about 2 years ago, 3 hours before i was meant to be of on a long weekend fishing trip, unfortunatley, instead of the back of the neck, he must have grabed it and given a head shake, and the spike became embedded in his throat. i wasnt there, but when the misses tried to get it out, a bit snapped of, so it was a visit to the vets, she said he didnt look like he was in any pain once the spike was snapped off, so i'd say he should be okay.
Cheers,
Brad
><((((NAUGHTY ·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY ...NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY¸.
¸¸ .··.¸¸NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY ·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY .¸NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY¸.·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Powertails should be returned alive, not left dying in the sun, to become a hazard for dogs and kids. Even if they are annoying little buggers.
Last edited by Matt Flynn on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luke79
Seadog
Seadog

Post by luke79 »

i couldnt bring myself to kill such a majestic animal that brings so much joy and so many smiles to the face of fishermen.
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Matt Flynn wrote:Powertails should be returned alive, not left dying in the sun, to become a hazard for dogs and kids. Even if they are annoying little buggers.

Annoying as they are they must be a feed for something eh!
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....

Return to “Powertail Legends”