SAN DIEGO GIANT SQUID

Welcome to international visitors. And local members, tell us about your fishing holiday ...
mudcrabhunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

SAN DIEGO GIANT SQUID

Post by mudcrabhunter »

Heading out tomorrow night on a charter out of san diego, targeting giant squid. Should be interesting. They have some pics of previous catches at seaforthlanding.com. I am not sure if we get these in australia or not.

MAY THE TIDES BE WITH YOU
A_Nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by A_Nomad »

Goodluck Cam, i bet you have to use big squid jigs for those bastads :grin: :grin:
Cheers,
Brad
><((((NAUGHTY ·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY ...NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY¸.
¸¸ .··.¸¸NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY ·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY .¸NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY¸.·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY
mudcrabhunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

GIANT SQUID

Post by mudcrabhunter »

8-) Charter went very well. We left the dock and headed out about nine miles off San Diego. We were fishing in 300+ metres of water. Action all began as the sun set. Hookups occurred one after the other. It felt like pulling a BBQ plate sideways throught the water when you were on. Had an absolute blast of a time. Squid weight ranging from 30-60 pounds. An awesome experience. I would recommend it to anyone travelling to San Diego. Crew prepares all catch for taking home, ever had a squid tube over an inch thick?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

Thats a ripper squid mudcrabhunter :mrgreen: .
Sticking a big circle hookin that and live baiting it could be intresting :shock: :shock:
:drinking1:
mudcrabhunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

GIANT SQUID

Post by mudcrabhunter »

I reckon mate, here is some pictures of the jig we used to catch them. We used 100 pound braid on a TLD 25 reel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bandit

Post by bandit »

top post and pic matey. cheers for sharing with us. 8-) did u eat any? what did they taste like :chef2:

I was watching a docco the other day on national geographic, bout the giant squid being over fished. cant remember where wasnt the states but. They were saying how there was a demise of big billfish cause the squid where being taken. think the show was called superfish, someone else may have seen it?
the guy was diving with the giant squid at night and they were trying to attack him. apparently a few people have actually been killed by giant squid. crazy.

cheers again :drinking1:
mudcrabhunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudcrabhunter »

Have not eaten any yet. But when I do I will let you know what it tastes like. I can see how that documentry said they were deminishing in numbers. There were boats everywhere in the area we were in. The guides said that there was no bag limit on them.
The beak on the ones we had was capable of taking your finger off. It looked like an oversize cocatoo beak on steroids. I think it would be pretty scary swimming with one
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Interesting, thanks for that report :smile:
Regards Dick
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Thanks for the report and the pics.

And yeah, the first thing that came to my mind was: If used as a live bait, what would you catch?
:shock:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

great report MC!!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...