bali fishing?

Welcome to international visitors. And local members, tell us about your fishing holiday ...
yeah1526

bali fishing?

Post by yeah1526 »

im goin to bali in about a month, probably just hang around kuta most of the time. anyone know what fishing is like there? or elsewhere in bali? im not really interested in charters unless theyre dirt cheap, just wanna go off the beach.
cheers.

4x4xfar
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 4x4xfar »

I did a bit of diving in Bali about 10 years ago and it was extremely fished out! Even some of the inner reefs had a lack of fish life.

But that was 10 year ago they may have enforced strict fishing laws since then allowing the fish population to recover, but I highly doubt it.
craigrachow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by craigrachow »

i too have been exploring the reefs in bali and they are mostly dead. there is handfuls of baitfish but you can see its defiantly struggling.
glass bottom boating and snorkeling is fun but your mainly looking at dead reefs.

im going there mid to late feb let me know if you find any good places worth a visit.
Mickfly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Mickfly »

Just got back from xmas/new years in bali. Legian beach was an eyeopener. No need to take a rod to pick up a fish or two off the kuta beach. Heavy rain flushed the drains out into the ocean, and the wind blew it all back onto the beach each day. Every square foot of beach was covered in dead fish, plastic, ???. Dead fish everywhere. Whole beachfront smelt like a baitbox after a long day in the boat!

Saw two people with surf rods, thought they were using squid heads, but when I had a closer look, it turns out they were just hooking plastic bags each cast.

Checked out streams in UBUD, but not promising. Water the colour of grey water.

Heres a couple of fish that were washed up on the beach. Reckon one was served up at dinner!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Balls
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Balls »

G'day

If you are interested in having a look around the Island while your there, on the western side around Lovinia Beach there are huge Dolphin fish, off memory I think it was February when I was there & thats when the Dolphin fish were prominent, mid year they dissappeared, they also hook Blacks & other stuff by accident, the Balinese normally target small fish like you saw lying on the beach, so you really have to tell them what you want or they will have you paying to chase minnows to feed their family. There are heaps of options available to get there, we just hired motor bikes for bugger all, your supposed to have an International licence which you can obtain at AANT in town, its about $25.00, but in reality whether you have it or not the Balinese coppers are corrupt so they will try & get you to pay a fine with or without a licence, with or without an actual offence, they will make one up, personally I'd still get the license in case push comes to shove. There are heaps of varying types of boats (for a want of a better word), you just barter with one of them, it was only about $20 or $30 to go out for an arvo. They have a squillion bamboo articial FADS all down that coast until you can see Java, there fishing gear is cr.p, I just took a Calcutta 400, lures & a chuck away rod that I gave to the bloke with the boat. Accommodation can be easily obtained by just seeing some where you like, walk in & check out the $$$ & room, stay if it suits, heaps of them right on the beach, like fall off the veranda & you would drown when the tide came in. Further down the coast heading towards Nusa Dua (cant remember the name) there are areas that the water just rips around the head lands, they are supposed to have huge GT's, Dog Tooth Tuna etc but in that area we found the communication barrier difficult to explain what we wanted to do. The trip over is not hard to do, I've never been into motor bikes & it was a piece of p-ss, great scenery, just stop & stay some where you like, food & p-ss readily available & its a totally different spin to Kuta Beach unless you are into the general touristy Bali trip. Let me know if your interested, as my missus would remember the names of most places. One year we done it with our kids on the back of the motor bikes so its not overly hard to do once your out of Kuta. There is apparently good diving on that side of the Island, WWII wrecks etc, good water clarity, it was jet black about 500 meters off the beach, probably explains the Blacks chasing the Tuna there. Seems to be a lot less rubbish on that side, note the actual fishing charter boats are a different story, squillion dollars, mainly cater for the Yanks & Japanese, either way enjoy your trip, cheers Balls.
SCURVY DOG