Do barra get spooked by boats.

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Do barra get spooked by boats.

Post by wonderwobler »

At a recent BBQ the topic of Barra being spooked by boats was raised.

It was a lively discussion, things like water depth and open water verses closed water were compared. The time of day even got a mention with shadows playing a part.

Noise from the hull and music as well as the pinging from sounders were brought up. Exhaust noise from outboards generated a fair bit of chat. The overall consensus agreed that noise does spook most fish, how much is debatable. What do you think?

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Do barra get spooked by boats.

Post by theodosius »

All these live scanners around will teach us heaps about fish behaviour
I reckon the shallower the water the more spooky barra get
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

True to both. I have noticed noise wise if you have consistent noise not sudden noise then they don't mind a bit like light. Flash a head torch on and off spooks them constant light like wharves they don't care.

Have found on the flats definitely easier to get close with sun ahead than behind
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Ive seen them jump out of the water in the middle of the Daly when a boat raced past. No one on the boat was aware because they were looking ahead
Last week I was trolling against the current up a gin clear creek in Karumba when 2 rats swam past me about 2m from the boat and 1m deep. Didn’t even flinch