How has your barra year been so far?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Better than expected
19%
About what I expected
50%
Worse than expected
31%

Total votes: 32

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: How has your barra year been so far?

Post by theodosius »

Off chops so far. 3 good trips and hopefully 1 or 2 more 8)
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

It's not easy when you spend most of the time around the harbour arms so it's about what I expected so far.

Can I vote again when I get to the rivers. :)
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Pretty sh!t! But I’m a high marker. Haven’t been out much, but have got fish each time. Just no big girls. 86 biggest for me this runoff.
b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Post by b-radical »

Still working on it..... 3 Powertail has been my best from the the adelaide last, trip shoal bay lock in looks good this weekend

in short i haven't finished YET
:cheers:
b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Post by b-radical »

Still working on it..... 3 Powertail has been my best from the the adelaide last, trip shoal bay lock in looks good this weekend

in short i haven't finished YET
:cheers:
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Flickin4em wrote:It's been about average with my 101 and 92 to prove it so far. However I usually wouldve got a few more big girls in and photographed but it has proved to be not quite so easy on my light spin 4 -10lb trout or bream rod I'm running for the year . . I've lost a fair few that size or bigger too probably 5 of them wouldve gone over the magic $ mark for 2018 so far but unfortunately with the light spin gear you've got to be super extra lucky aswell as quite skillful on those bigger fish in a bad, snaggy, small area to win the battle. bl..dy good fun tho if you get them in it's an epic battle you'll remember forever. . . . Realistically it'd probably only be 30% of 'em though .... maybe :bonk:

But if they dont want to count either of them in their precious ol boys fff comp due to not playing by "the rules" in the comp with a tapemeasure instead of bragmat. ... I'll just simply catch more big ones later on and ill have the new mat and paper to enter it with and make them whingers eat a d!ck.

Being completely unattached to your favorite lure in the box is a commonly unrecognized asset for light gear barra fishing too. . I've done another 300 bucks already for the year in lost fish on yozuris, 6 inch nilsies, samaki vibes and 12cm xraps already so far and there's bound to be plenty more lost lures before the year's finished :banghead:

LOL. The local tackle shops are loving it each time i rock up . :rofl:
funny how different strokes for different folks , iv gone the other direction last 4 months changed all my braid to 50 pd from 30 and rarely run leader under 80 more often 100pd . i changed every thing up after thinking of the big fish iv lost in past 5 years , and the extra pound / strenght would most likely been enough to at least land half wat got away. loosing big fish is not a laughing matter :wink:
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Killing it as per usual but after a stern warning by mr flynn havent bothered posting much for 2018 got a 117 cm LB to beat tho. So doin OK so far for the year....
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

good. Have found barra in great numbers at shady bottom. They seem to feed in patches at unusual times for 20 minutes and go quiet. I have never seem so many big barra on the top slaming bait
tight lines
barra bitch

Post by barra bitch »

Flickin4em wrote:It's been about average with my 101 and 92 to prove it so far. However I usually wouldve got a few more big girls in and photographed but it has proved to be not quite so easy on my light spin 4 -10lb trout or bream rod I'm running for the year . . I've lost a fair few that size or bigger too probably 5 of them wouldve gone over the magic $ mark for 2018 so far but unfortunately with the light spin gear you've got to be super extra lucky aswell as quite skillful on those bigger fish in a bad, snaggy, small area to win the battle. bl..dy good fun tho if you get them in it's an epic battle you'll remember forever. . . . Realistically it'd probably only be 30% of 'em though .... maybe :bonk:

But if they dont want to count either of them in their precious ol boys fff comp due to not playing by "the rules" in the comp with a tapemeasure instead of bragmat. ... I'll just simply catch more big ones later on and ill have the new mat and paper to enter it with and make them whingers eat a d!ck.

Being completely unattached to your favorite lure in the box is a commonly unrecognized asset for light gear barra fishing too. . I've done another 300 bucks already for the year in lost fish on yozuris, 6 inch nilsies, samaki vibes and 12cm xraps already so far and there's bound to be plenty more lost lures before the year's finished :banghead:

LOL. The local tackle shops are loving it each time i rock up . :rofl:
This year has been un-real so far! which is a bit of light at the end of a dark tunnel because past couple years have been quite kaka for me. Got my new PB this year 97cm and my last pb was 94cm from when i was 16 in 2012.

Also amen to light gear! my dad raised me fishing with light gear, I use 10-17lb samaki (mega light weight rod so i don't get RSI from casting all day :P), 45lb litre and 30lb braid. My partner always gives me s**t for using light tackle but I reckon I have a hell of a lot more fun pulling my fish than he does. I enjoy the challenge and it makes pulling in rats even fun. In saying all this, I haven't yet caught the magic metery yet and would be absolutely gutted if I lost my first metery to light tackle....I admit last week i even brought 55lb for the first time hahahaha.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

My first year when I got most of my barra to date on fly (and virtually all my sooties). Even had a 50 fish day, most were small but a dozen were between 70 and 80 so I got stretched on occasion. Haven't got one a metre plus on fly for more than five years. This year, just maybe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Dick
JJLure
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JJLure »

I havn't caught any but still trying
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

been average but i put that down to time spent on the water.