Self guided Easter trip for a bunch of southerners to Shady

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Barzopen
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Self guided Easter trip for a bunch of southerners to Shady

Post by Barzopen »

Hi Folks,

Been keeping an eye on the site for a few months and loving the information available. I'm from Batemans Bay NSW and it's been a great summers fishing so far. The marlin run has been fantastic but it's time for a change of pace!!

Five mates and I have organised to hire 2 boats, a couple of cars and we're heading to Shady Camp from Easter Monday for 4 nights, staying at Pt Stuart. It's about 10 years since I've been there and my brother who was the 'chief barra guru' has had to pull out so we are on our own. I've fished the area a few times with family and a previous guided trip, but this trip is up to us! God help us..... Considering the spring tides. recent storms and amount of rain you guys have had. how are things looking for the runoff over Easter?

I've bought the FF magazine and have been reading it cover to cover, but any advice on where to go, how to fish etc would be greatly appreciated. And in return if your down this way I'm more than happy to take someone out for a fish off the coast if you're keen. Cheers and thanks in advance for any help............

Dave

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Self guided Easter trip for a bunch of southerners to Sh

Post by mickkk »

There will be enough people on the water to get the idea. Will most likley be just joining the conga line near the mouth or out past the mouth.
Make sure you have enough fuel with you. You will probably do 100 kms a day on the water. Depending on the boat you are hiring, but with 4 blokes on board you probably won’t get much better than 1.5 kms per l. That’s a few fuel drums to get. If you plan to check outthe coastal creeks you may need more.
And water, take plenty of that. Reckon it may be a wet Easter too.
Take a few big lures for trawling, a few vibes for casting, I like the new readies ones. And pretty much do what others are doing
Barzopen
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Barzopen »

Thanks for that, we are hiring 2 x 5.2m formosa, 115hp Suzuki 4 strokes with 115l fuel capacity and 3 to a boat. Considering the setup, would we require a jerry can or two for a fuel backup? I got onto Colin at Reidy's Lures recently and have a collection of B52's in 3 sizes, fish snakz, plastics, some classic 120 lures, zerek cherabin, some old nilsmasters. So hopefully have most scenarios covered. I expect there to be a cast of thousands so not hard to follow the crowd I guess, but would also like to venture out on our own a bit. Thanks for the help.......

Dave
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I wouldn’t expect to get much more than 1.6 to 1.7 kms per litre. I would work it out at 1.5 to be safe. So if you take 2 Jerry’s that’s 155 l, so 230 to 240 kms.
It’s 40 km to the mouth, 60 kms to tommy. So you will easily do 100 kms to the mouth, 140 kms if you go to one of the coastal creeks. If you are fishing 4 days you will probably want more.
Also check if you need linen with your accommodation. Never stayed there but have heard of some stories where people didn’t take linnen and had to use the curtains.
Barzopen
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Barzopen »

Thanks didnt check the linnen. Would need some big curtains to cover these boys!!
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

The curtains?

Missus hit the roof last time i did that :)
coastaljoy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by coastaljoy »

Don't need linen for pt Stuart lodge but put a extra jerry or 2 in the boat we used a fair bit with a 140 Suzi with that amount of blokes and travel. Just watch you lt per hour gage and push the throttle accordingly
he fishes he fishes he fishes its the only thing in life all he ever gets is hell from his fed up wife
Barzopen
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Barzopen »

Thanks for the replies and the private message, which I have no idea how to reply to (I.T. is not my thing haha...). I will speak to the hire company and organise a jerry or two. Cheers..........

Dave
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Bring more fuel than you think. Bark hut is now closed down so nearest fuel is a decent hike. Copy what other boats are doing but keep a safe/respectful distance. If you go to the coastasl creeks, leave on the dropping tide with the other boats or you'll get stranded. Good luck!
Barzopen
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Barzopen »

Yeah know what your saying. Counted almost 60 boats off bermagui when the marlin bite was on... just hoping we can get amongst a few fish and have even more laughs cheers guys
Barzopen
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Barzopen »

Ended up fishing swim creek and after some trial and effor we got a few barra for the trip the best going 92cm. Heaps of smaller barra coming from the runoff's we tried. Ended the trip back in town with some cracking jew and golden snapper. Thanks for all the advice.
Cheers Dave
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Good stuff!