How to Anchor on a Wreck or reef... HELP

Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How to Anchor on a Wreck or reef... HELP

Post by Jackh »

Hey guys. New to this trying to anchor over the top of a wreck and I just can't get the knack of it. I have a Hds 5 and I set up a way point on the wreck, i then slow down and stop on top of it using the steering function on the gps which tells me how far away I am from the way point. I allow the boat to then drift and I then back track up that path on the gps. If the water is 10 meters deep I track forward ahead of the reef by about 25 metres. Throw out the anchor and allow myself go drift back. I can never get anywhere close. Is there something I am doing wrong? I have the heading bug on 'heading up' but it seems to change from thinking that the front of the boat is actually the back. To back beeping the front again. Help would be appreciated

blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: How to Anchor on a Wreck or reef... HELP

Post by blw »

Sounds like right technique. Have you got enough anchor chain? Because that is what makes the anchor lay flat

cheers Brent
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Try using an anchor bouy until you get the hang of it.........drop the bouy on the spot then move forward and get the anchor to hook up then let out enough to be back on your bouy.......you will work it out after a few trips with this method..........Practice is all it is mate.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I am hopeless at it too but that's because I dont practice it enough. Another option that some people use is to take a cheap reef anchor (with the prongs) Drag it until it connects up to the wreck and pull up tight so your nearly on top of it. As I said, I am no expert but I wouldnt try this method in any kind of swell or large current.

Do a search because I'm pretty sure this has been covered quite extensively in the past
Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jackh »

So you just use a second anchor down with a bouy on it? I have a cheap bla anchor that came with the boat. I think it might be two small for my 5mtr nomad. Thanks
Seastorm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Seastorm »

When you get to your wreck, knock the motor into neutral and watch your Hds-5 to see which direction the drift is with tide and prevailing wind as it draws the line on the screen. ..sometimes following that little drift line gives you a good starting point as to what direction from the reef to throw the pick, and how fast you are moving once stopped(so how far up the drift line you can throw the pick)...
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Hi Jackh

Depending on the wind and tide as well, you might drift in a completely different direction than you will actually sit once the anchor is in and caught on the bottom, as the tide may push you stronger than the wind or vise versa once you have actually anchored.

I usually do exactly what you have done, watch the line on the GPS as suggested then anchor in line with that, if you have the right amount of rope out, but are 10 metres off the wreck, then pull the pick, go back up the line and 10 metres accross, drop the pick and should come back closer.

Must remember though, as the tide changes and the amount of run changes the boat will move as well!

Cheers
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Ensure you have enough chain to take the anchor straight to the bottom. Motor directly upcurrent to a distance about twice the depth. Lower the anchor to the bottom. Use the motor to negate effects of wind so you end up hovering directly over the wreck. Let the current carry the anchor into the wreck. Once anchored you can adjust your dropback. You may want to use a bungee to keep tension on the anchor rope and keep you positioned directly over the wreck. Once you determine the best position to drop the anchor, mark it on your GPS so the next time you will succeed on your first attempt. :D
Last edited by mako on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jackh »

Agent86 that is exactly what happens and it drives me bonkers. I ended up spending more time trying to anchor then I do actually spend fishing. Maybe I need to invest in an I pilot..... Might save the marriage hahaha
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

No worries Jackh

Just trial and error and all's good learning.

Sometimes you get right on the spot, catch a few, tide changes and nothing!

While the bloke who is 30 metres away has now drifted around onto the wreck and starts catching them :-)

Especially on the bigger tides, cause quite often the wind changes with it as well, so that stuffs things up too!

Just gotta keep tryin to work it out

Cheers
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

You are on the money in terms of using your gps to track your drift. Go a bit further forwards as you can always let out more line.

Another suggestion is use a big sand anchor go way pass the wreck and drift your line back onto the wreck. From my experience if you are anchored on the wreck you be fishing behind the wreck. The fish seems to be holding just in front of the wreck.
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

As above, I would drop the anchor alot more than 25m upstream particularly when there is wind and current. Current takes your anchor before it hits the bottom, drags some distance before it hooks up particularly in mud around wrecks, need some angle on the rope so the anchor doesn't pull, you also want to be at the front of the wreck near the pressure wave and to let the scent of the bait drift over the wreck. Theres also fair chance your line will drag a bit. It all adds up. Reef anchor and chain needs to be on the heavy side otherwise just when you think you are all set you will drag and have to do it all again.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Since I've had an Ipilot, I rarely use the anchor unless the tide is too big.
Anchoring is much more than dropping the pick and hoping for the best. As the boys have said, you have to allow for wind and current. Practice makes perfect
Use the rule of 3’s. Whatever the depth, use 3 x the length of rope – at least.
Go way out in front like the others have said and let line out til you are in front of the reef – that’s where they feed.
Get a deckie with a strong back :rofl:
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

some of the water I fish if you used the 3x method it would take half an hour to pull the anchor :)
A good heavy chain and a decent anchor is the go I have 7m of 13mm chain weighs alot but hold and have one of the small anchors that only has the 4 small prongs that are about 120mm long
But you're right about the I pilot nomad my mate has the 80lb and still has his anchor rope in a could on his boat :) he reckons its spot on can do slow drifts or adjust your self perfectly !
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Another vote for the Ipilot.
----------------------------
-----------------------------