Darwin to Wooliana, Daly

jasbags
Silver Member
Silver Member

Darwin to Wooliana, Daly

Post by jasbags »

Hi everyone

I am in the process of planning a trip to NT next year (I live in SA). One of my friends who will be joining us on this trip will be flying in from Singapore. The plan is to pick him up from the airport (probably late in afternoon around 6pm) and then drive to Wooliana on the Daly.

My questions to you are;

1) Approx how long does it take to get from Darwin to Wooliana?
2) Can the road in be navigated at night (I have a Toyota Prado towing a 435 Quintrex Hornet)

Thanks in advance.

Jason

May the fish be with you........
G-LOOMIS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by G-LOOMIS »

GDAY... I WOULD SAY APPROX 3+HRS FOR FIRST-TIMERS AND AT NIGHT. THE DARWIN- ADELAIDE RIVER RUN IS NO PROBLEMS 1HR, ADELAIDE RIVER -DALY TURN OFF IS A BIT SLOW WITH THE ROAD TWISTING AND A FEW BLIND CORNERS, TAKE IT EASY ON THIS SECTION AS IT IS VERY NARROW AND NOT UNCOMMON TO MEET ANOTHER CAR COMING THE OTHER WAY.35-45 MINUTES. DALY TURN OFF - BANYAN (WOOLIANNA TURN OFF), NO PROBLEM BUT A FEW CATTLE ON THE ROAD AT TIMES.1HR, THEN ITS ONLY A FEW KMS TO THE BANYAN FARM Cant miss it on the big right hand turn u go straight. hope this helps you also need to check if rd is open depending as to time of year, mid march is a fair bet but it depends on what sort of wet we have. time frame is only my opion, some may say longer/shorter....but not by too much.

CHEERS, Glenn.
MUNDITIS - ITS CONTAGIOUS
jasbags
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by jasbags »

Hi Glenn

Thanks for the detailed reply. Much appreciated.

We are coming in mid April so hopefully the road will be open.

Thanks again / Jason
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Was about to say you better hope the road is open. :idea:

Could be just in mid April if the wet is smallish.

Punter is your man for this type of info
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

you may be pushing your luck to get down there at that time??

i would recomend staying at Banyan farm. he has his own ramp and very friendly people unlike some on the daly.

also the road to banyan is all sealed and opens before the road to wolli

:drinking1: Harmsey
jasbags
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by jasbags »

thanks again for the info.

Does Banyan have cabins or anything like that or is it camping?

We are really looking for a place that can house 3 blokes, preferably with some aircon/fridge etc etc

I was thinking Wooliana only because it is a bit further down stream and i thought you couldn't access Banyan during the wet??

Cheers
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

they are a little further upstream but at that time of year thats where you want to be.

i have stayed down there for the last 3 run offs

http://www.fishingterritory.com/viewtop ... ght=banyan

http://www.fishingterritory.com/viewtop ... ght=banyan

and yep they got a good cabin set up

http://www.banyanfarm.com.au/

if you do go to banyan tell em harmsey sent ya,,, :mrgreen: acually better not they may not let you in :naughty:

:drinking1: Harmsey
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

I will agree with that last I heard Wally was erecting a Harmsworth free area sign which would mean a quieter night for other campers :rofl:
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

max wrote:I will agree with that last I heard Wally was erecting a Harmsworth free area sign which would mean a quieter night for other campers :rofl:
fair go Max, :fu: i would like to think of myself as an entertainer :rofl: :drinking2:

but i do love the way they ask "so,,,, is this a boys weekend??? or do we have the family???" makes a big difference in where you get to camp thats for sure!!!! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

They put my right next to Harmsey last time. :evil: :evil: :rofl: :rofl:

Nah, cabins are all good and priced well. 4 beds in each and air con and an outlet to plug the Engel in for beers. :cheers: Camp kitchen with large fridges a short walk. :wink:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

Hi Jason, Good choice the Daly, my favorite river.
The road should be open by then. History shows it only closed once in 25 years, That was about 6 years ago when a late cyclone came through.

The Barra classic will be there from the 20th to the 27th next year so you may wish to keep that in mind.
I will be there from about the 12th till after the classic so might see you then.

The Banyan farm is a very good option. All the parks will be busy then so best to book now if you want a cabin. :cheers:
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.
jasbags
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by jasbags »

Buckaneer2 wrote:Hi Jason, Good choice the Daly, my favorite river.
The road should be open by then. History shows it only closed once in 25 years, That was about 6 years ago when a late cyclone came through.

The Barra classic will be there from the 20th to the 27th next year so you may wish to keep that in mind.
I will be there from about the 12th till after the classic so might see you then.

The Banyan farm is a very good option. All the parks will be busy then so best to book now if you want a cabin. :cheers:
great thanks for the heads up.

This is getting a little off topic but we were actually planning on arriving late on the 18th and fishing for a week. It looks like we will clash with the Classic then. :(

I heard one person say here that this year there were actually less boats on the water DURING the tournaments than what there were before and after the tournaments (ie everyone fished around them). Is there any truth to this? Would it still be ok to fish during the tournament and still have plenty of room and places to go without bumping into every man and his dog?

Thanks
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

mate steer clear of the comps, way to much traffic on the water!!
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

You can still fish during the comps but you may have to get in line with 8 or more others in the best spots.
You can fish below Moon billabong outlet without any bother though.
Also may have trouble getting accommodation at Banyan Farm on those dates. The classic books pretty well all of them. :cheers:
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.