Baitcaster brain overload

bodge007
Silver Member
Silver Member

Baitcaster brain overload

Post by bodge007 »

Firstly, Merry Christmas to all.

I am in need of some advice. I received some gift vouchers for Chrissy and am looking at getting an all-round bait caster combo. One for hard bodies, vibes/soft plastics and trolling.

It has been years since I purchased a new rig for barra and would like everyone’s opinion/advice on what is a good rig.

Budget is $250 for the reel and $150 for the rod.

Cheers

STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Baitcaster brain overload

Post by STOKESY77 »

Shimano calcutta 200b reel around the $250 mark and Raider rod around the $120 mark, good barra combo :-)
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Ronald was telling me the Diawa's are better bang for your buck at the moment. Mostly because Shimano are targeting the American Bass market. Those fish don't test the gear too hard so they can build them a bit lighter and cheaper. Suit the market.

I have only owned the old Abu's and had a couple of Curados for 10 years.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garc ... e-RVI.html. The pitch centrifugal brake system makes for great casting.
barnzy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barnzy »

Iv got the new Abu. To be honest I don't like it. It. Needed a service after a few months and all the bearings had rust on them. The guys in at fishing and outdoor world don't like them very much. I much prefer using my mrs white chronarch. I wish they still made them........ il be going diawa next..
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

I'm lucky enough to be fishing with all my old school Curado and Chronarchs BSV's etc etc. Shimano don't make them like they used to. Even my Chronarch Ci4 which is only used in the fresh is developing a few small issues. Check out the Tatula from Daiwa in that price range. Spool with 30-40lb PE and you're laughing.

Richie
Mad KEEN!
feeds
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by feeds »

Spend $10 on a hand line and the rest on beer.
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

feeds wrote:Spend $10 on a hand line and the rest on beer.
I'd like to see u catch a metrey on that! :mrgreen:
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Abu Revo Inshore is my favourite reel at the moment, got it for 200 from Tackle World
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

I don't like any of them! My old Chronarch still outcasts any new reel I've bought since, including the Tatula with its llifting level wind system. My Tatula needs servicing after catching a 92cm fish, sounds and feels horrible now. Also my leader knot (Albright) won't go through the level wind, which is annoying.

Had a Revo, which was ok with good drag, but corroded badly, even when washed after every trip. To the point that I couldn't get the side cover off.Sorry I couldn't be more help mate.
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

scottmac wrote:I don't like any of them! My old Chronarch still outcasts any new reel I've bought since, including the Tatula with its llifting level wind system. My Tatula needs servicing after catching a 92cm fish, sounds and feels horrible now. Also my leader knot (Albright) won't go through the level wind, which is annoying.

Had a Revo, which was ok with good drag, but corroded badly, even when washed after every trip. To the point that I couldn't get the side cover off.Sorry I couldn't be more help mate.
yep just be careful any one who ties longish leader knots and wants to purchase one the new daiwa tws systems not good match , as I found :banghead:
bodge007
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by bodge007 »

Thanks for all the info, lots to consider. Will let everyone know how I go. Cheers again
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Anything in the Daiwa stable will be the go.

Not convinced still with the tws system even though I'm a daiwa fan. Thought about buying a zillion tws a half dozen times for the last 2 years but just can't do it. Do like the bling look of the battler which is now on the mrs radar for my birthday present.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

ponyplay wrote:
scottmac wrote:I don't like any of them! My old Chronarch still outcasts any new reel I've bought since, including the Tatula with its llifting level wind system. My Tatula needs servicing after catching a 92cm fish, sounds and feels horrible now. Also my leader knot (Albright) won't go through the level wind, which is annoying.

yep just be careful any one who ties longish leader knots and wants to purchase one the new daiwa tws systems not good match , as I found :banghead:
Ouch, the replacement line guides are horrendously expensive.
Have you got it fixed yet mate?
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

deepblack wrote:
ponyplay wrote:

Ouch, the replacement line guides are horrendously expensive.
Have you got it fixed yet mate?
hey mate , Christmas caught up with me and i left it in Kununurra. Going to post it over to you when I get back up there , the level wind (tws) not broken just fails to click out after slightest rub from leader knot.