Micro jig outfit

kavera
Silver Member
Silver Member

Micro jig outfit

Post by kavera »

Looking at setting up a new micro jigging outfit.
So far I'm liking the storm gomoku rods, a. Because they look like they load nicely, b. Because the won't cost me my left nut to buy.
Matching this I was thinking of upping the drag on my luna 103 and running pe2-3 or,
Getting the heavier spin rod and buying a biomaster 4000.
I'm leaning towards the bait caster as I already have the reel, plus a couple of other reels that would suit.

I saw a few people have used these rods so was hoping for some of their knowledge and experience...
Cheers

pedro
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Micro jig outfit

Post by pedro »

Kavera, what are you going to be targeting with this Micro Jig set up? Reason I ask is I tried a similar set up using the ABU Veratis Jig PE 1-3 and I struck nothing but trouble. You hook plenty off fish on the lighter set up thats for sure. Snapper, trevally, macks and the ocassional jew and trickies, were the main species I targeted. I found the rod just didnt have the backbone to lift the bigger or stronger fish. Hence a longer drawn out fight allowing plenty of time for the sharks to hone in on the fish or allow the fish to bury itself back in to the wreck. I did get a 105cm jew on the outfit down at channel point, thou that was on the ledge there and there wasnt much for him to bury me in so it was just a long slow fight out of 25-30m of water. If you wanna just have fun it's a good set up, if you want a feed, go something with a little more backbone. My thoughts.
kavera
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kavera »

Basically fishing for the same species as you, my concern was going too light or too heavy, so I'm now thinking after your experience that a pe 2-4 may be the go, slightly more pulling power, I have landed Metre jew on the luna reel and a bit cast rod, was good fun.
More interested in reefies like trout and snapper than jew though
pedro
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pedro »

Yeah the thing is that there is more Jew, Big trickies, trevally and sharks then there is trout or decent snappa 45-60cm range. My suggestion is look at the structure you are fishing and how many fish are you willing to lose V's how much fun you are willing to have. Plenty of big jew have been caught on 8kg bait casters on the Finniss. though a sh#t load of snappa, cod and jew have been lost on 80lb outfits on solid glass rods over the wrecks. Buddy of mine still looses jew on 150 lb handlines on the harbour wrecks. End of the day it's the thrill of the hook up and battle V's fish in the boat. I liken micro jigging to my old game fishing days where 8kg Platypus pre test mono was the only line class and the battle with a 10 -15 kg yellowfin or a 70-90 kilo
black marlin was a massive effort, with more losses than tagged fish or captures, but poop we had fun!
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Hi Kaveri

PE 1-3 is what I use for jigging, with a 3000-4000 size reel and 20-30lb braid.
Have a great time and still get heaps of quality fish, trout, snapper, trickies, tusk fish etc down around the Perons, lose a couple occasionally in the reef. I tried upping the anty and using heavier gear, but reckon I didn't hook as many and lost just as many anyway.

Sometimes the harder you pull the harder they pull.

Have a go with the 1-3 and see how you go
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraMick »

I use this set up with 4000 size spin reel and have 20lb on it. Knocks over Trevor's and reefies no worries. I have a heavy 50lb setup that I use for Jew. Wouldn't want to be jigging with the heavy set up but too much work.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I use the red storm gomoku with my 3000 certate with 20lb fins,and also use the blue gomoku overhead with Calcutta 400d with 30 lb. Both combo regularly land decent reef fish, big jewies ,Trevor's and macs while jigging gulps. They do have a beautiful action and some decent power if you know how to load up properly. I reckon the have enough power to land most species up here..

The key is to have a good reel with upgraded drag to improve your chances of landing good fish. Your Luna 103 is a great reel but I'm afraid it just doesn't hold enough line to give you a fighting chance.

I love to go as light as possible as it's about the sport more then the fillets.

My favourite combo for light jigging is a venom crank bait and 4000 saltiga. It's capable of stopping anything up here , super light but it cost ya a full weeks pay.

The only negative on the gomoku is the tiny micro guildes .
kavera
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kavera »

So I went the blue gomoku rod and pUT the 103 on it, worked a treat, managed a few decent jew on it, locking the drag with 30lb. I think line capacity may be an issue with mackies but so far so good.
The reel is currently in with John at nt reel service get g a carbon drag upgrade and possibly higher gear set. Looking forward to seeing the results! Always a good job from him so interested to see what I can get out of the reel. Cheers for your thoughts
kavera
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kavera »

So I went the blue gomoku rod and pUT the 103 on it, worked a treat, managed a few decent jew on it, locking the drag with 30lb. I think line capacity may be an issue with mackies but so far so good.
The reel is currently in with John at nt reel service get g a carbon drag upgrade and possibly higher gear set. Looking forward to seeing the results! Always a good job from him so interested to see what I can get out of the reel. Cheers for your thoughts