Shimano knobs going sticky...

DrRuff
Silver Member
Silver Member

Shimano knobs going sticky...

Post by DrRuff »

Hi All,
The knob on my Stradic 5000 has gone again, last time this happened I rang Shimano who told me it must be my sunscreen/bushmans and that the only way to replace the knob was to buy a new handle. I am not overly keen on that again but I can't see many aftermarket, cheap type-B knobs, only expensive $70+ jigging style knobs. Anyone got any ideas? Just for info the knobs on smaller spinners and baitcasters are type-A while the larger reels use type-B.

Cheers,
Ruffy

Burrum Heads
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Shimano knobs going sticky...

Post by Burrum Heads »

I had a problem with my knob too. I decided after it was getting too painful to handle I'd best make a trip to the local doctor. He said I had been out fishing too much and has a good dose of the crabs. Not sure how that happened given I was only ever using a crab hook and never touched any pots other than beer......
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

a "knobhead"[ :D :D :D :mrgreen: :clap: :clap: quote="Burrum Heads"]I had a problem with my knob too. I decided after it was getting too painful to handle I'd best make a trip to the local doctor. He said I had been out fishing too much and has a good dose of the crabs. Not sure how that happened given I was only ever using a crab hook and never touched any pots other than beer......[/quote]
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Yep bug spray destroys them
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

Get yourself a couple of Thermacell's problem solved :mrgreen:
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jasonmcc »

INOX wrecks them
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Inox wrecks reels full stop. I love the stuff. :twisted:
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

When I bought the boat the rubber feel knobs on he furunos were very sticky and gooey to the touch. I heard that you rub them with salt and talcum powder mixed I think. The salt works as an abrasive and gets off the affected layers and the powder keeps it dry so it an ball up and rub off and seems tho get a bit of a shell on it. I say I think because it was 6 years ago and it is still got Ng strong from one application thiose knobs on those two units are the one thing that gets used every time you work the sounder with whatever is on your hands. From aha on lush book, worth a try.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

deepblack wrote:Inox wrecks reels full stop. I love the stuff. :twisted:
Is that fair dinkum John ?? I was told that INOX was the ducks guts for reels. Been giving my gear a light spray with it after nearly every outing for a few years now & doesn't seem to be any detrimental effect ??
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

slug wrote:
deepblack wrote:Inox wrecks reels full stop. I love the stuff. :twisted:
Is that fair dinkum John ?? I was told that INOX was the ducks guts for reels. Been giving my gear a light spray with it after nearly every outing for a few years now & doesn't seem to be any detrimental effect ??

Yeah mate me too! So if not inox then what should we be using?
No matter where you go, there you are!
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

WD40 made by NASSA
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

Ballistol is the go :mrgreen:
The shooters on here would also attest to its worth.
This stuff seems to be ok to even get some overspray on the line as it has a tint of aniseed.

Available from FOW

Cheers :cheers:
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
DrRuff
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by DrRuff »

That could well be the culprit, I INOX everything... MX5 on the bearings, MX6 on drag washers and in small spinners/baitcasters and MX8 in my bigger stuff...
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Swoffa wrote:Ballistol is the go :mrgreen:
The shooters on here would also attest to its worth.
This stuff seems to be ok to even get some overspray on the line as it has a tint of aniseed.

Available from FOW

Cheers :cheers:
Warren has it in one, brilliant stuff. Like anything though there is no need to go overboard with it. Light spray all over, pay a bit more attention to handles ect. to keep them spinning.
Most importantly though give everything a light spray with fresh water and shake like $h!t to get rid of any excess and let it dry before using lubricant.
Cheers,
John.

EDIT: I should add that not all inox products are bad BUT (and this applies to WD40 ect. well) the spray is a penetrant which means it is designed to loosen any deposits, this includes grease and oil!
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
DrRuff
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by DrRuff »

Thanks for clarifying. I use INOX greases and oils throughout, I only use the spray on the handles though after each trip to keep them free. Hence the ruined knobs I guess! All good, the original knob is built around an SS barrel. I just pulled off the rubber and will use it like that for now.