where to buy marine ply?

dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

where to buy marine ply?

Post by dirtyruiz »

Does anyone have any ideas where to buy marine ply apart from bunnings? Need a piece approx 700mm x 1500? I need the thicker type 19mm I think, could be thicker. Any advice appreciated

2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: where to buy marine ply?

Post by 2rods »

Maybe trade building supplies or Bianco ... They have form ply
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

What you using it for?

I re did the floor in my boat with exterior ply I think, judt painted it and its been really good. 17mm maybe?

I am saying that as I have a full sheet sitting here that someone can have for $20.00 It might suit you mate, maight not.

In Leanyer either way

Chris
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Hi Dirtyruize
Marine ply comes in 18,25mm 2400x1200.You can get form ply in 1800x1200, 17mm about $70 a sheet but most places wont cut marine or form because it stuffs saw blades ,anyway I,m in the timber game so if you want PM your # I,ll give you a call
Cheers
Jeffish
makntracks
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by makntracks »

Ive got 2 sheets of form ply if thats what your after.
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

Thanks a lot guys, I need it for the cast deck. I just had the cast deck raised and the front end is too heavy so I want to replace the big ally hatch on the deck with a ply hatch. The ally hatch is extremely bl..dy heavy. Short story is the hatch is 885 x 675 and I need it to be strong enough for someone to stand on.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Must be bl..dy thick ally if it's heavier than 19mm ply
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Must be bl..dy thick ally if it's heavier than 19mm ply,sell it as scrap ,you'll probably get enough dosh to buy the ply
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

its reinforced to the sh!thouse, that's what is making it heavy. I'm not sure if the ply will work so I'll hang onto the door for now.
troamaru
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by troamaru »

Just use CD Ply and Norseal the poop out of it.. lasts longer than Marine ply and works out a hell of a lot cheaper. I have a piece of ply treated with norseal thats been out in the rain for ages and its still rock solid
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

My 4.2 stacer has 12mm exterior ply , the forward hatch is 600 x 500 and is plenty strong enough to stand on .
I have to replace one side of the floor under the console as it has abit of rot in it. I guess the factory didnt seal the ply properly or at all.
The edges is where the water will soak into the ply ,I plan to use exterior 12mm ply and seal the edges with linseed oil and marine varnish .
Exterior ply is around 75.00 a sheet , marine ply is three times the price.

Kev.
I'm not young enough to know every thing .
troamaru
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by troamaru »

lanolin is a really good sealer as well! But the old linseed oil works a treat to like bluey said.. It stinks but soaking them in old motor oil stops wood rotting as well that what we used to do when fencing paint the bottoms of the post with old oil..
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Hi guys.
Linseed oil used neat will not dry compleatly and there for is not the best for sealing timber that you want to glue carpet to,not having a go at your advise as it is still a great product but if you must use it make sure you mix it with about 20% pure gum turps (not minral turps) .This mix would be best used under the floor where your not going to carpet,but there are much better products on the market theses days .
Cheers
Jeffish
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

What would you seal it with if you need to glue carpet back down?
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Hi Theodosius
I use a product called Monocell exterior , I thin the first coat about 20% with minral turps makesure you cover all the edges with a good coat,allow the first coat to dry for at least 48hrs. Then apply the 2nd coat neat (not thinned) allow anorther 48hrs to dry.
The drying times at this time of year can be longer due to high humidty, might suggest you wait a week before gluing the carpet down,make sure to use a quality contact adheasive (selleys kwickgrip)
After you get carpet down I,d apply a 3rd coat to the underside
Hope this helps I,v done 3 floors this way with no worries

Cheers
Jeffish