First Fish finder.

bucky007
Gold Member
Gold Member

First Fish finder.

Post by bucky007 »

I’m looking for a fish finder for my tinny, under $500. Looking for any suggestions as to what brands and models are good.

Also, are they really helpful to catch fish?

Cheers

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: First Fish finder.

Post by Matt Flynn »

Super helpful for finding fish, and also helpful for warning you when it is getting too shallow for your boat.

Michael Ede at In and Outboard Marine is the guru, he will let you know if there are worthwhile models under $500.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Hook 7 is maybe just a touch over that price but looks like an OK unit. Every now and again an old hds5 turns up for 2-300 bucks, solid units
bucky007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bucky007 »

Thanks very much for the replies. I am tossing up between the lowrance hook2 7X vs 5 tripleshot. As far as I can tell the main difference is plot tracking vs pre loaded mapping. Maps would be good but are they worth the price jump?
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Get the 7 triple shot. 610 from Mr Boats on ebay, 10%off code PICKY10 makes it 550 bucks for a 7" with sidescan. 5 is too small gor sidescan
simonbradford80
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by simonbradford80 »

I fully understand everyone has a budget to work to, as I suffered through a 5 inch black and white Humminbird sounder for 8 years.
It did a job, basic plotting (No Map), seemed to be pretty accurate with the depth, and would mark some fish.
In the end, I got sick of seeing all the fancy screen shots of down scan and side scan, so I saved as much as I could and bought myself a Garmin Echomap 95sv.
Got it for a good price on sale (Always look for sales on sounders as they seem to have a very high markup!!! ) and I haven't looked back since. Now also got myself an Echomap 95sv Plus ( Thank Lats !!!) . The difference in screen size between a 5" sounder and a 9" sounder is huge. Mapping capabilities are great. Side scan and down scan are amazing.
My advice would be, if you can hold off and save a bit longer, do it, as the sounders you will be able to afford with a few extra hundred dollars will be like chalk and cheese with what is out there in your current budget range.
As for brands, I'm a Garmin man myself as I believe they are the best value for money, but that is just my opinion. All brands have positives and negatives.
Best of luck finding something!!!
bucky007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bucky007 »

Cheers for the advice.

I ended up going for the lowrance hook2 7x which has side scan and gps. Doesn't have maps yet but I can get a card for it later.

Took it out yesterday for the first time, saw something in the scanner that was pretty big maybe a dolphin..]
34863410_10160469456120456_8147760265698476032_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bucky007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bucky007 »

One other thing, the transducer is about 20cm long do they snap easy or is there anything I can get to protect it? Cheers
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Fold it up when towing or heading down a loggy river like the daly
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Congrats on the new unit.

Looks like you got a screenshot of a passing torpedo.