Front Mount Sounder

JJLure
Silver Member
Silver Member

Front Mount Sounder

Post by JJLure »

Any ideas on front mounting a sounder & transducer? I've recently purchased a 5" Lowrance Downscan & Chirp unit that I want to use up front to help not only better locate fish & fish-holding structure but to minimize rock impacts on the electric motor as i maneuver about the many shallow rock bars in Qld's Fitzroy River.

I don't want to put it on the MotorGuide Xi5 as i think I'd be a disaster trying to keep the cable from twisting up around the shaft when in anchor mode.

I have a couple ideas on how im going to do it, but just wondering if you've done anything like this?

Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Front Mount Sounder

Post by Blinky »

Mount it on your electric, it's the best way to do it.
I have a transducer mounted on my Minn Kota, the cable runs up the shaft in a grooved out section, not sure if MG have a similar section on the shaft.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Also watch the frequencies you are scanning with, you will end up with interference on the back transducer from the front. If you just want it for depth, run it at something you arent using at the back, like 83. Keep this in mind if you are using it for structure, you might need to say turn 455 of at the back and just run at 800, depending on the gear you are using.
JJLure
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JJLure »

Thanks jabsy. Im using 455 on the front and 1150-1275 on the back.