18650 battery source

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

18650 battery source

Post by Matt Flynn »

I pulled apart a dud Ryobi power pack for a look and found five Samsung 18650 1300mah batteries inside. The multimeter showed the failure was caused by a single cell. The other four were fine, so I ripped them out for torches.

I believe these cells don't have overcharge protection circuits so they need to be used in an appropriate charger, however they are good quality, though not huge output.

Perhaps there is a good reason not to do this, but it seems like a good source of batteries when a power pack fails.

Modern torches are damn good, I can pretty much illuminate the side of a nearby hill with my best handheld unit.

Think I have still have an old Dolphin torch somewhere, bit like a Box Brownie ...

slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: 18650 battery source

Post by slug »

Don't knock the old Dolphins Matt - I still run a couple in the boat, and one has pride of place in the laundry cupboard ..... :P
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

They are waterproof, and easy to locate :mrgreen:
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Better to replace the single dud and rebalance the lot. Cheaper than a new drill battery....
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Better to replace the single dud and rebalance the lot. Cheaper than a new drill battery....
Good thinking. I bought a cheap knockoff replacement on eBay and the drill is a bit doughy with it, although it does work.