End of an era and start of a new chapter

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

End of an era and start of a new chapter

Post by nomad »

About 10 years ago, I converted a greyhound bus into a motorhome about 10 years ago in Tassie and eventually ended up here in Darwin as a caretaker at Gray school. It’s the longest I've lived anywhere

It took me just over a year full time to renovate which included cutting the roof off and lifting it to give more room inside. I built beautiful solid Tassie oak timber cupboards, even the personj who did the final inspection said that it was better than his kitchen at home. It had the lot, 4 rooms, a/c throughout, vacuum toilet system, 1000l fresh water, grey water holding tanks, solar and massive power generator system. I was able to park up in the bush for a month at a time.
I did all the work myself except for the spray-painting and electrical.

I decided a few months ago to leave Darwin and get back on the road so I made arrangements to get the bus ready to travel again and had it booked in at various establishments around Darwin to do the repairs/upgrades.

Anyway, the day following the cyclone, it was destroyed by fire.
Just to rub salt into my wounds, the lovely people in my area decided to break in and help themselves to anything that might be of use to them!
I have been broken into several times over the years and decided to keep some of my stuff in a shipping container. Thank Christ I did. Everything inside and below the motorhome was destroyed.

So now my pride and joy is no more.
It was insured but only for market value which is about 100K less than what it will cost me to rebuild, I simply cant do the work that I was once able to do
So I got a loan and bought a caravan about ½ the length of the bus. It’s a dramatic change in my life
I leave Darwin on 3rd May and I'll be heading to the east coast to continue my nomadic life, just wont have my beloved bus with me.
I know how insurance companies like to draw things out so I just have to wait until they cross their t's and dot their i's and look at every opportunity to get out of paying up. (my ex wife worked in various insurance companies for over 20 years and used to come home shaking her head about how their mantra was 'deny every possible claim')

Heres a pic of the bus being lifted out by crane onto a low loader and to its new home at the salvage yard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: End of an era and start of a new chapter

Post by qiksix »

Alot of blood sweat and tears went into mine as well, about 12 months ago i had a fire start where the 15 amp plug input eventually worked it's way out and began to get hot before it all started to melt and burn. Luckily i was home and smelt the horrible smell of an electrical fire. My worst nightmare! Cant beat a bus for long term living, I bought it when i was 22 years old and it took a year for me to fit out. Been livin in it for nearly 8 years now. Wouldn't have it any other way, cheap living! Good luck on your future travels nomad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Given the cost of houses now I am surprised there aren't buses everywhere.

And houseboats!

Good luck with your journey Mark :mrgreen:
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Any idea how the fire started Nomad?
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

yeah cops said it was from the generator or a/con.
Having said that, I have to kick people out of the place almost everyday. about an hr before the fire, I saw 2 young blokes jumped the fence and when I told them to fkuc off, they just gave me the bird and swore at me.

the usual reply is 'hey boss, just wanted to get a drink' whiuch is obviously what their mates have told them to say to the cops. funny thing is that there is a set of bubblers just near where they jump over - on the outside!
to say im sick of it is an understatement
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Sorry to hear about the bus. Enjoy your travels!
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Safe travels mate. When you get South I'll be expecting bream and flathead reports
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

All the best Nomad; look forward to the updates.