SEA JAY VS RENEGADE INFO NEEDED

Jtc79
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

SEA JAY VS RENEGADE INFO NEEDED

Post by Jtc79 »

Well Hello FFF members ,

I am in a predicament, Im Looking for a new boat and the Sea jay velocity 520 with 100 honda is looking the goods but I dont know anyone that has one . I believe that there a few around. If you know of any good or bad can ya let a bloke know.

The other is a 520 renegade with a 115 yammy again looks to good any info on either boat and motor would be helpful.

If is short , so spend it Fishing

Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: SEA JAY VS RENEGADE INFO NEEDED

Post by Gibbsy »

Hey mate my boss has a velocity with a 115 suzie on the back and he is happy. I've got and 5.35 sea Jay tropic running a 90 Honda and can't complain. But have and so driven and so 520 renegade and they are also good boats. Both and so good choices slightly different layouts on the two. Depends what your wanting to use it for. I take mine out Bluewater and up creeks draws stuff all and handles the chop in the blue stuff. Good luck with whatever you end up getting matr
Jtc79
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Jtc79 »

Cheers for your info Gibbsy,

Im mostly barra fishing but like us all chase the macks and tuna in the dry . I was worried about the velocity being under powered but hearing the 535 tropics is running good with a 90 sets my mind at ease a bit.
Any problems with Bh MArine ??they seems OK.

cheers again mate
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Yeah will ask my boss tomorrow in regards to how much water his velocity draws. Mine draws stuff all and is great for Barra fishing on the shallows with electric. Have had it to 60km/h at wot with few people on board and two eskies. Handles the chop well and is quite stable at rest. But like I said have driven a 520 renegade and is very similar to the tropic. Have never felt unsafe in the tropic. Good luck on the new toy hope it's brings a lot of fish on board mate

Gibbsy
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Yeah will ask my boss tomorrow in regards to how much water his velocity draws. Mine draws stuff all and is great for Barra fishing on the shallows with electric. Have had it to 60km/h at wot with few people on board and two eskies. Handles the chop well and is quite stable at rest. But like I said have driven a 520 renegade and is very similar to the tropic. Have never felt unsafe in the tropic. Good luck on the new toy hope it's brings a lot of fish on board mate

Gibbsy
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

I'm not a fan of the cut out at the back of the Renegade, but I've got a mate who has one and he's very happy with it.

I've got a 4.85m Seajay Haven Sports with a 80HP Yammie - it's plenty fast and I'm very happy with it. It's not a dry boat when the chop is coming in sideways, but I'm not sure many boats are?

cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
Jtc79
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Jtc79 »

Thanks all for your comments ozdodge im with you in regards to the cut out on the renegade BUT the 115 yammie would make it hum.

Still like the sea jays though and with Gibbsy s info of the 90hp pushing the tropics around ok , its still up there and price is good.

cheers for the info guys Ill keep ya in the loop and cya on the water :)
The Tracker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Tracker »

I own a 490 renegade nice boat and awesome in the chop. Had a few minor issues only with metal shavings not cleaned out of hull just fussy stuff.
Saltboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Saltboy »

Mate,

Apologies for straying off topic a bit but have you thought about a Mclay Fortress??
I have the 5.5m side console with a 115 Yammy, 80lb Xi5, 130l tank, 4 deep cycle batteries. I can sit on around 50 kph and get 2.6kms to the litre. WOT sees around 75 kph. I lost around 10 kph when I put a on a Permatrim. On a Saturday I can do 250kms offshore and on the Sunday be in 300mm of water up a creek somewhere. This boat has far exceeded my expectations and is a fantastic compromise when a can't afford both a 4.5m creek boat and a 30ft Grady White. I have some structural photos of how they're built if you want me to post.
Just of note, I also have extensive experience with Sea Jays and they are a very good boat also.
Dave
Jtc79
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Jtc79 »

Hi there saltboy, yer mate you have curious please send some info if you are able . Sounds like a great boat.
Jtc79
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Jtc79 »

Hi The Tracker.

You like the renegades ay .
Another tick for them.
Cheers for the heads up.
Saltboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Saltboy »

Jtc79 wrote:Hi there saltboy, yer mate you have curious please send some info if you are able . Sounds like a great boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Saltboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Saltboy »

ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

stop being a tight arse and buy and Ocean Master. I know of one you can buy cheap......... barely used!
Jtc79
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Jtc79 »

You would not sell your boat Ghound , plus what would us mob take out wide ha ha haha