Carby advice.

CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Carby advice.

Post by CharFin »

My son and I are having a go at fixing my old boat as a bit of a project which has been sitting around since I bought another boat. I got it started but fuel starts to leak out (flow) of a carby as indicated on photo. Should fuel come out of here for a leaking needle valve / stuck float or is something else wrong.

Can anyone reccomend an outboard mechanic around Darwin that are good with carbies. Its an old Suzuki DT60 so many shops probably wont want to touch it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Carby advice.

Post by cuddlescooper »

Sounds like it is flooding. The needle will be stuck due to dry fuel varnish or the bowl gasketts perished. Would have to completly strip the carbys, replace gaskets and soak and clean all jets with combustion chamber cleaner.
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

Thanks mate. I was thinking a full strip down is required, but sounds like the leak isnt a terminal failure so thats good.
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Try some carby cleaner in the fuel and run it. Might be worth a shot?????
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

Had a crack at stripping down the carbys today. Surprisingly they were in pretty good condition (ie no corrosion) for a 35 yo engine. Dry fuel varnish and gunk was blocking the main jet and had actually stuck the float to the bottom of the fuel bowl. No fuel additive was getting that cr.p out. Put it back together, crossed my fingers, turned the key it fired up and ran like a charm (for the first time in 8 years). Sometimes it pays just to have a go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Awesome work.