Water in Fuel - DF90

slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Water in Fuel - DF90

Post by slug »

Limped back to the ramp on the weekend - engine sputtered under load & would just idle.

Checked water separating filter & didn't appear to be an issue - but when I drained it there was a small amount (maybe 20ml)
of water. Wouldn't have thought this would have been an issue as I'd thought the filter would have stopped any water getting
through to the engine?

Anways, the real weird thing, when I took the filter off the water separating clear bowl to give it a flush of fresh fuel & prime, there
was the remains of a cockroach in there?? Had it in for annual service a few months ago and a completely new water separating kit was
installed - only thing I can think of was that the roach had gotten into the box and subsequently the filter while sitting in parts warehouse??

Couple of things I'm hoping for some guidance on :-
1/. Engine fires & appears to idle OK - but is there anyway to test it under load other than to bite the bullet & get it wet?

2/. Anything I can do under the cowling to clear any water or shite that may have gotten through (ie drain internal filter/run 'something'
through injectors?)

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Water in Fuel - DF90

Post by jeffish »

You got under floor tanks Slug, just think the water is the issue here not the roach .
I used to get condensation build up in the tank and have been using F10 for a while now .
Great for water and algae , I put it in every 2nd or third refill now and no water issues .
Might pay to check the engine filter as it may have more roach remains blocking the flow.
Only way to put some load on it is drop the leg in a big bin or drum full of water , no good running it on muffs just not enough water flow .
No expert mate , hope you sort it out .
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Cheers Jef,

Yeah I reckon you're right - water's more than likely the problem (altho I would have thought I'd have a bowl full of water before the separating filter let the water thru to the engine?).

I bought the DF90 Service Manual & there is nothing even remotely helpful in it as regards clearing 'internal' fuel contamination! - Can anyone advise if this is the 'drain' for internal filter on DF series or if there is anything else I can clear inside the cowling? :-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tommy222220_0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tommy222220_0 »

That the fuel filter.

Pretty sure there is a high pressure one as well somewhere - but only needs to be replaced every 500hrs
Fruity
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fruity »

Get Yourself 1 of these for peace of mind in the future, You can see any water in fuel and drain it.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MARINE-WATER ... XQDXRRGgKh
Cheers :cheers:
Fruity

Fishing is a condition of mind wherein you cannot possibly have a bad time.
Zane Grey.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Fruity wrote:Get Yourself 1 of these for peace of mind in the future, You can see any water in fuel and drain it.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MARINE-WATER ... XQDXRRGgKh

You can gettem locally at RTM if you dont want to wait.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Fruity wrote:Get Yourself 1 of these for peace of mind in the future, You can see any water in fuel and drain it.
That's pretty much exactly what I've got!!
As explained - "Checked water separating filter & didn't appear to be an issue - but when I drained it there was a small amount (maybe 20ml)"

Don't be too blasé about water showing up like a beacon in these things - it was explained to me that water was miscible in current ethanol fuels and
very hard to detect in the clear filter bowl. It wasn't until I'd drained it into a glass jar & let it sit that the water/gunk became apparent.