Lake King William dry

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Lake King William dry

Post by Matt Flynn »

For those of you who feel hard done by because of the poor northern wet season, here's one of Tassie's big lakes as it looks now .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWWB1tLv-uU

It is mainly the hydro and irrigation lakes that have been drained, as many unconnected lakes still have plenty of water in them.

The empty dams are a consequence of low rainfall and the submarine Basslink electricity cable to Victoria failing after they sold off the electricity (eg the hydro water) to Victoria to take advantage of the former carbon tax, which provided a windfall for clean hydro power.

Unfortunately they also mothballed the gas-powered backup generation facility ...

Bad luck or bad planning? There is heated debate about that, as submarine cables are known to be unreliable, and there was a prior court case alleging too much current was being pumped through the cable.

Hydro lakes are now reaching the threshold of no power generation. I imagine silt is not good for turbines.

I have run up the little Honda genset, and will be cutting extra firewood this year ... nothing wrong with wood fired pizza and lamb ...

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Lake King William dry

Post by nomad »

That is unbelievable!
It is a beautiful area alright. I remember fishing there with snow covering the nearby mountain peaks.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

What have you done to the place? It was great when I left there
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Matt, I was just down that way two weeks ago fishing / camping with mates. Hit Maria island and Lake Pedder. Got to have a look at Lake Gordon and the dam wall. Impressive dam, pity about the lack of water in it. My mate has been down there the last 10 years and is a keen fisho, having fished most of the lakes. He has never seen the Gordon dam so low. Beaut country down your way. Tally this trip - 30 flathead (Maria), 12 barracuda (Maria), 10 shite red fish (inedible - Maria), 7 brown trout (Pedder - brought two back to NT for the missus - yum!). Scored a heap of blackberries on roadside near the place that grown hops and had to do some traffic control near Pedder after some motorcyclist fell off his bike, hit a rockwall, broke his leg and was media cede by helicopter. Best week of fishing/camping/mates I've had in ages! Thanks Tassie! I love that joint.
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Good to hear (except the bit about the bike) :mrgreen:

Still plenty of water in the non hydro dams, funnily enough.

Yes, it's a nice place. Trout are a bit small tho, might have to move to Patagonia.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Lucky for you the Huon is fed from Lake Pedder... Huonville beautiful country.
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Picking it might be full now Matt..................... :surf:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

It rained in the north. Mostly just drizzle in the south. Not sure about the big lakes like Great Lake and Gordon, they might take a few similar episodes to fill, but many of the smaller ones filled up.