Complaints or reports to fisheries

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Complaints or reports to fisheries

Post by ronje »

Hello all.

If somebody lodges a complaint with NT Fisheries about a matter (maybe illegal fishing, dangerous operation of a boat or anything else that a person feels that needs Fisheries attention) is that person given a reference number for tracking the matter or maybe providing further information? Or obtaining some feedback maybe?

Regards
Ronje
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Complaints or reports to fisheries

Post by Jer »

I've made reports of illegal fishing activities to the FishWatch hotline in the past. I don't recall being given a reference number at the time of calling but I do believe I was asked if I wanted follow up contact in regards to the report. I was contacted by a Fisheries Officer in that instance, so I suspect there maybe have been a reference number in NT Police's PROMIS system.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Make the report to water police directly and ask for the promis number assigned to your complaint.
Water police will deal with illegal fishing.
Dangerous vessel operations isn’t a NT fisheries matter.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Thank you fellas.

I wanted to see the difference between what happens in NT and what happens in Qld wrt complaints/reports relating to fisheries matters.

In Qld you are not given a reference number by Qld Fisheries (who handle both types of complaints) for tracking purposes.

I see that PROMIS has been replaced (late last year).
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

This is why I asked.

Nov 1 to Feb 1 is a closed season for barramundi on Qld's E coast.

This fish ( claimed to be 1.4metres) was caught in Inkerman Ck (part of the Fitzroy R mouth) on Sat 26th Jan (in the closed season).

Any person who "unintentionally" catches a barramundi in the closed season is exempt from the Qld Fisheries Act closure penalties PROVIDING that 3 conditions apply to the catch:

1. the catch was unintentional;

2. the barra is not intentionally or recklessly harmed or injured; AND

3. the barra is immediately released.

Look carefully at the photo.

You guys are all experienced barramundi fishermen.

I'd welcome your opinions on what the photo tells you guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Ronje
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

I see a live bait bucket, a tether and a barra having it's gills torn apart
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Do you have a view about your observations in respect of 1, 2 or 3 above?
Regards
Ronje
jersy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jersy »

Hes a sh@# cahnt then. .hate knuckle heads that pose fish like that. :evil: :fu:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Thanks for those comments, fellas.

Yep. Its doubtful that the fish would survive. This guy is a repeat offender.

I'm meeting with Qld Fisheries tomorrow about how they (Fisheries) responded to the incident. bl..dy awful.

Targeting barramundi is also illegal in the closed season here if it can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt and a photo doesn't prove intention.

I wanted to take with me views about if the handling of the fish resulted in:

. intentional or reckless harm;

. if it was immediately released.

I've got my own views (which seem to coincide with nearly all who've commented - mainly Qld but also you guys in the NT).

We have a east coast closed season here from 1 Nov to 1 Feb to allow undisturbed barramundi breeding activities in the spawning grounds at the mouth of the Fitzroy. Fitzroy has recently been made a net free zone after a bitter and protracted battle.

If nothing is done about these guys (there are a few others like him) then all we've done is swap barramundi rape and pillage by the netters for barramundi rape and pillage of the breeders by people like these.

That's the story.
Regards
Ronje
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

I reckon that it is already dead . I zoomed in on the eyes they look cloudy, as with a dead fish .
stroma
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by stroma »

Hi Ronje,
There was a report done by NT Fisheries some years ago which X-rayed the spine of large fish after being held in such a way. Pretty sure it showed separation of vertebrae and indicated a poor outcome for the fish. The heavier the fish the greater the impact obviously. Not sure where to find the report but it would certainly strengthen your case to Qld fisheries
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

I'm sure it did too, Stroma. I'll look for it.

Jeffish,
I think you're right. Dead as a dodo.

I zoomed in on the tail and the carpet. No water dripping off the tail and no water marks on the carpet under it as you'd expect if it was just pulled from the water

Thank you both for that.
Regards
Ronje
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

im pretty sure it states that a barra cannot be taken out of the water for photos in closed season ,(everyone sometime who chases salt fish will get a bycatch of barra in closed season ) if possible remove hooks in the net then release .asap
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

im pretty sure it states that a barra cannot be taken out of the water for photos in closed season ,(everyone sometime who chases salt fish will get a bycatch of barra in closed season ) if possible remove hooks in the net then release .asap

[/i]Thanks Al.

That was an answer cobbled together and given by DAF Qld in response to queries over the meaning of "immediately released". People wanted to take a photo or measure (or both) and that simply wasn't allowed under the "immediately release" provisions of the Act.

Facing the reality that their unrealistic law flew in the face of what the public wanted (photo and measure), knowing the difficulty of having the Act changed and knowing that it was impossible to regulate, DAF came up with those "mickey-mouse" guidelines by putting their own interpretation on what "immediately" meant to satisfy public expectations. A commendable response but simply another band-aid for legislation that was so comprehensively flawed.

In the case of this guy, "the duck that clearly didn't line up" to exempt him from the Act ( Section 12) was the one that quacked about intentionally or recklessly handling regulated fish causing harm or injury. That's pretty obvious from the way he's handing it (recklessly causing harm).

I met with DAF's Qld head of the boating and fisheries patrol in Rocky yesterday. The subject of DAF's progress in investigating this incident came up.

Yesterday was the 21st Feb and 26 days after the report was first made to DAF (who claim that they didn't receive the complaint until 7 th Feb making it now 14 days later).

Whilst he didn't come straight out and say it, the "message" I took away after enquiring was that DAF had still not identified the person some 2 weeks or nearly 4 weeks later. Either example is abysmal investigatory progress.

Hard to believe isn't it considering the lines of enquiry available, the info given to them including workplace, place of purchase of boat and motor package and that Rocky city is smaller than Darwin?

Unlikely as it may seem, the issue of investigatory competence arose in the conversation along with a question about quality and adequacy of training. We're talking about senior field staff here as well as recruits.

Responsibility for the mess that DAF field officers as well as the public are grappling with daily, lies squarely at the feet of DAF management and is of longstanding ( a public service cultural issue of managing upwards and neglect).

The reality is that no adequate or speedy response has been (or will be) forthcoming by the regulator and no message will be sent to the community or the likes of this guy (there are others).

There'll be no positive outcome and certainly no evidence to support any chance of a prosecution despite any DAF huffing and puffing.

It's hard to believe that confidence in the way that Qld DAF "does business" could drop further than it has over the last 5-10 years but its been inevitable with the DAF culture of self-focus.

This is now an even "lower low".

DAF is promising to do better with a "new deal" about changed practices, more engagement with the community along with new tools.

Poised with a bucket of eggs and a big stick but don't hold your breath if you're expecting an omelette. Track record isn't good.

The NT has experienced water police officers who undertake fisheries duties so investigatory competence is inherent in their activities.

However, there's a move there to use more public servants (like in Qld) to do the work.

Here is the B&FP recruit starting point in Qld.

https://tafeqld.edu.au/courses/18096/ce ... stigations

Two things jumped out from the list of study units.

First cab off the rank was about public service stuff. There's a place for that but not at the head of the list inferring highest priority.

The second thing is what wasn't there.

Importance of engagement with the community in the investigatory process. THAT'S where 99% of information comes from (IF they trust that the investigator will do something with it). Building up reliable sources (not gossip).
Regards
Ronje