Big skinny

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Big skinny

Post by Young_gun_fisho »

Hi all, does anyone on here have success on big queenfish? Like, 90cm plus size fish? I have no difficulty catching small queenies (30-40s) but cant seem to find a horse fish, have tried chromies, poppers and stickbaits at the east point area for no results. Anything i could be doing wrong? Thanks

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Big skinny

Post by jeffish »

It'll happen mate , reckon this w/ends big tides are perfect for a big skinny LB at EP or LP . But you should also try live baits I get most of the biggins on livies :catch:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Biggest skinnies I've ever seen were floating in the harbour on the way out to Six Mile and beyond a few years ago. Figured a pro boat must have ditched them on the way home, they were monster fish.

Funny thing was, a visiting fishing writer was pictured in the NT paper that week with a huge skinny he caught ... I did wonder.

Guess I showed lack of incentive :D

Biggest skinnies I have caught have been out the front of Bynoe around the islands and reefs, and around the drying rock outcrops in Fog Bay. They can be caught landbased at Dundee. Mandorah jetty produces a few big ones. Lee Point too.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks guys, unfortunately probably cant get out to bynoe or dundee anytime soon, but will definitely head over to mandorah soon
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Definitely head over to mandorah, I pick a good size one up fee weeks back on building nears last half of incoming tide. I had boat sitting just in front of the rock walls in front of the old pub. I was working an Eddie that was forming at end of one of the rock walls. Third cast got one on a 10cm halco popper in pillie colour, fish went 87 to inside of tale and 97 to end of fork. We sounded plenty of fish and bait but I think I got lucky on the popper as they were feeding on 2inch sardines. I reckon small chrome slices would of been the go. Just be careful on any rocks on building tides mate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Oh and experiment with retrieve and lure types until you work out what triggers the bite, poppers, stickbaite, chromies, hardbodies and soft plastics. Persistence pays off good luck
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks gibbsy, will have a go
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

got a 6kg model off 6 mile in the bait schools, always found big fish out there, they get smaller as you get closer to land or further into the harbour i have found.

match the hatch out there, smallest lure you have and even more fun if you use the lightest line you feel brave enough to use, landed mine on 2kg line!
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Talc Head
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ok Andy, ive heard that some big fish hang there. Just need to get my friends boat out
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Haha Matt that same writer was in a creek with us for a few hours catching nothing (and had caught zip). We got a few and lo and behold next week's paper has him catching a bunch of fish on a 2hr trip but no photos....
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I think that might have been a world record on fly capture.

My biggest skinnys have been caught around the Navy base wall and wharves. Although I did catch a 99cm fork length at Barra Hole up West Arm on a 10inch mullet. Thought it was a big barra when my line was rocketing to the surface
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ok, cool
simonbradford80
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by simonbradford80 »

Landed this one in the harbour today.
They were feeding on bait about 20mm long.
Very hard to match the hatch when the bait is that small!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nice one mate, is that around 85cm?