What Etiquette when 'Dropping In' on Someone

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Corry
Silver Member
Silver Member

What Etiquette when 'Dropping In' on Someone

Post by Corry »

So we've been fishing up here for 5 weeks now (been going really good, will do posts with photo's when in service for a bit longer), question I have, is from previous trips around the country, I know 'dropping in' while fishing feeder creeks etc is the norm up here, but what etiquette should be used when doing so?

We've been 'dropped in on' a few times over our holidays, and normally it starts with a quick Gidday, and 'do you mind if we join you' or something like that, and they have all ended up 'spot locking' or tying onto a tree in a manner to not push us out or make us change where we are flicking to too much.

Only asking, as we were 'dropped in on' the other day, and the person doing so pushed right in to exactly where we were casting, and we'd just had a couple of hook ups on that spot. Where he was going to tie on to (as he didn't have an electric) was going to block us from continuing to fish the run out of the feeder creek. I'm not going to name names, or boat names, or show a picture, as I do know who it was, but after some exchanging of words, he moved on. Point to note, there were no other boats on any of the other dozens of feeder creeks in the same creek we were fishing, from previous conversations with this person, we believed that he just fished where others were catching.

Just looking what others think about what etiquette should be used, or what people would like used.

Cheers
Corry
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: What Etiquette when 'Dropping In' on Someone

Post by Matt Flynn »

It is common sense and respectful not to drop in on someone's casting zone, but decency is lacking in some.

Everything went to sh.t after "South Park" :D
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

I feel bad enough just asking to slip past boats that are on the corners while they're flicking around when I want to get further up a creek.

People shouldn't crowd and should know better than to disturb someone else's peace and quiet and should expect a barrage of strong words and the occasional apology for the 'carefully placed' bad cast just for being inconsiderate and special.
trent
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by trent »

Seems to be the norm these days mate, fishing the other night with another boat casting fizzers and poppers with plenty of fish landed between us from 200am till first light when they went off the bight, old mate comes along sounds around and around telling us how many fish are showing on his sounder and throws out an anchor right in the spot we had just been casting, a couple of casts past there ears soon had them lifting the anchor and moving out of range, we both waited till he moved and set up then packed up and started trolling the incoming

Return to “Going Fishing?”