Poor start to wet season - what does they mean for barra mig

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Adzsee
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Poor start to wet season - what does they mean for barra mig

Post by Adzsee »

G'day northern folk, Adzee from poor ol down south. Been watching your wet season buildup like a hawke due to a planned venture north for the run off. Yep I'll be one of those annoying tourists choking up your waterways. Geez dry start thus far with not a lot on the horizon in the coming couple of weeks. I've always been intrigued with what you guys do with a fizzer of a runoff. Clearly I'm putting in place a potential plan b if the jabiru region is as dry as a nuns nasty this year. I'm clearly not asking for spot x's but just a general plan of attack. Do barra tend to hang on the coastal fringes still due to the fact that there's been poor fresh flows to trigger migration upstream? I'm unfamiliar with barra behavior so I'm keen to understand what they do.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Poor start to wet season - what does they mean for barra

Post by Matt Flynn »

Without a monsoon there can still be good regional rain, just have to pick the region that gets the most. But the lower parts of rivers might be best if the Wet doesn't happen.
Adzsee
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Adzsee »

Good advice Matt, makes sense.
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

As Matt says, been getting sporadic storms in some areas, i believe Katherine has been getting a bit lately which will have some impact on the Daly region.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Pray! We are!!!!! And I’m not even religious.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Daly has been going up n down like a brides nightie this wet. So far the highest was 6m usually we are looking at about 10m and rising this time of year so it's not looking good for numbers of juvenile baz to make s go of it on the floodplains so far ....

Best seasons are a few years after the usual ripper wet seasons we used to have.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

It needs to start raining right now and not stop until late March for any chance of a decent runoff. Can’t see it happening.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I reckon it will be a good wet. Doesn't matter when the wet starts, it's the length of time it goes for. Rains well into April isnt unusual and if this happens then it wont matter if the 1st monsoon was a few weeks later than last year.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Lats wrote:I reckon it will be a good wet. Doesn't matter when the wet starts, it's the length of time it goes for. Rains well into April isnt unusual and if this happens then it wont matter if the 1st monsoon was a few weeks later than last year.
True mate, as long as the cold snap doesn’t hit before the runoff kicks in properly. Nice bit of rain today, good for the Finniss and Mary catchments.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

The Finniss on the Litchfield road was at 1.8m eight hours ago. Would be higher now. That’s what we want!