Berkeley River

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Tommy222220_0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Berkeley River

Post by Tommy222220_0 »

Gents,

Thinking of heading over to the Berkeley mid/late April. Launch from Wyndham.

Anyone been at that time of year before? any good spots your willing to divulge?

Hoping to camp on the land some nights, so just Wondering what's the best technique for mooring ur boat with large tides and cliffs around?

Will be my 1st real remote trip in my boat. Last year went to minimini with theodousi on here. Ended up doing 550km round trip in the boat, launched from the south. So have a bit of an idea with what required fuel/gear/water/beer wise.

If anyone else would be keen around that time, another boat would be more than welcome.

Tom

ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Berkeley River

Post by ponyplay »

pm pharalan on this site , not sure if he gets on here much. He does the trip a bit and may help ya out .
mike davis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mike davis »

Heading out there mid april for 5days, weather is usually pretty good that time of the year, should be a couple of waterfalls runnin, but saying that we haven't had much rain over this way yet.

Its about 320km return trip not including fishing, from memory I think the river is around 20k long.
usually just sleep in the boat, but there are a couple of beaches you can get out on, might want to camp a fair way up the beach if your sleeping on land..

The main fish we chase are jewies, barra, fingermark salmon and queenies. Look for anyway there is a rocky bottom and should do alright..

What sort of boat are you taking

Cheers mike
palaran
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by palaran »

Yep hitting the Berkeley in late March / April.
Mate lands 29th March for a month so will head out as soon as the wind lets us. Wind is usually calm that time of year so we will be leaving a day or two after he lands I think.
SE winds don't normally kick in until May.
Wind and tide will be the key factors to consider. With the big tides any competing wind will turn the water rough! If the wind is up then travel early morning. There there are plenty of spots to pull up for the day and fish then travel next morning etc.

It's 155km from the WYN ramp to the mouth of the Berkeley. Then the river is 25km to the top rock bar.
Unless it is a real small neap tide (mid April this year) we always leave WYN on the high and travel with the tide. Its 95km to Fathom rock which is the ocean, then roughly 60km west to Berkeley.
If the tide is low at the mouth you have to enter from the south of Reverly Island and watch for the numerous sand bars. You wont get in from the north on the bigger tides on the low.

I sleep on my boat (5.3m Noble) and usually camp up the top as you generally don't get mozzies or sandflies. Beach camp at front but well up from the water as there are big crocs. If you camp on the beach at the front you will see the boat moorings from the Resort boats so camp here as the water is deep and sand bank steep so you don't have to really worry about tide. Otherwise there is a great spot up top of river about a 1km downstream from the rock bar, on the left heading upstream, as there is a spring-fed waterfall that you can tie your boat up to as it is small square rock pool with vertical walls (well for <6m boats).

School holidays are mid April so this is normally busy with boats so you wont be alone.
With that month off I'm planning to do multiple trips out the Berkeley area so PM me for more info as I'm free with time as mate departs April 26th.

It's not a Barra river as compared to others, but there are still Barra to catch, but the fishing is great for other species as Mike says. It is loaded with big Jacks!!
Search my posts as I have posted a couple.

I carry 300+ litres of fuel which gives me a range of 600km. WYN sea rescue is Channel 80 and 81 and you will get them all the way to the mouth. Always log on/off on 80 at the ramp. Very good secure service.

That time of year there should be a few falls so plenty of spots to shower and get fresh water; there is always the spring up the top of the river anyway.
It is a worthy trip and beautiful river and coast.
Cheers
Damo
LIFE EVOLVES ON THE EDGE
Tommy222220_0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tommy222220_0 »

Cheers for the info lads. Taking a 5.2 Allycraft. Has 450l of fuel and ~100l fresh water capacity.

We are thinking 16-20th April. With a day either side for travel to Whyndam.
Tommy222220_0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tommy222220_0 »