Nt fish possession limits

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
mike davis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nt fish possession limits

Post by mike davis »

Heading to king ash bay from kununurra soon and am wondering about possession limits. We will be in a group of eight on a mothership for about ten days. I have read the nt fisheries website and it says we can keep eight times the limit of at risk species plus your normal limit of 15 fish. Trying to understand the eight times rule if it is a personal total or a group total. We are not intending on keeping that many fish anyway, hopefully just some better fish from around the islands out front like coral trout and tuskfish and thats about it. Thanks for any advice.

AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Nt fish possession limits

Post by AM »

Hi mike I did quite a bit of analysis when this first came in some years ago. Generally speaking if you were on a charter boat you could have/take whatever you wanted as long as you stayed out of the closed areas so as not to impede the commercial fisherman trolling around in there. Hope you have a good ( warm ) trip.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Mike, your personal 15 fish limit includes your at risk species. For example, if you were to catch your 3 golden snapper and 5 coral trout, you would only allowed to keep another 7 fish. Each of the 8 anglers has the same personal posession limit. You must also keep any fillets whole and with the skin on
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

The 4 and 8 x rule is for vessel limits, not personal limits.

Think of it like the mud crab limits, 10 per person but no more than 30 per vessel even if you have 4 persons on board.

If your catching reds for example which have a limit of 5 per person and you have 4 people on board you are allowed 20 of those species only.

If you have 5-7 people on board you are still only allowed 20 (4x5) of that species but still allowed a total of 15 fish per person made up of other species.

If you have 8 persons on board you are allowed 40 (8x5) of that species.

The x 4 or 8 rule I'm sure, is designed to stop rape and pillage and be aware that rangers and police do show up around the islands and do full checks on boats.

if you catch good fish, make sure you feast while there as 15 fish per person per day in your possession is just that and if they check your eskies and fridges, which happens anywhere on the road home and you have more than 15...... you're in trouble.
Last edited by NinjaFish on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Forgot to mention the 8 x means 40 (8x5) max so you are not allowed 50 (10x5) if you have 10 persons on a vessel.
barra mick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by barra mick »

I've been checked at king ash quite a few times...and even more times on the road coming back.

Dont think I've ever had more than two or three fish....they didn't keep me long

But I've seen them take care and boats.one pariciular trip a bloke had a big freezer full off coral trout....he didn't make it far past the dirt road
you have to have crack even if your just pissin in the wind
mike davis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mike davis »

So if I’m reading right it is basically 15 fish per person over the 10 days but the total is made up of the individual limits for each fish. As I said we are not really interested in keeping fish because alot of the species we get here in kununurra, just a couple of coral trout would be nice for the missus