Coupla days on the bong

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Coupla days on the bong

Post by Melv »

With the Mistress still MIA :fubird: , a mates's been kind enough to lend me his tinny to help ease the pain 8) . It's a bit of old skool (for me anyway), the 13 footer with the thwart seats and smokey 2 stroke but it keeps our bums above water and was just the ticket for a family camping trip to one of the Kakadu billabongs early last week. We arrived mid afternoon and quickly had camp set up then it was straight onto the water for a quick recco. I was teaching my boys the words from Deep Purples finest as we BaDing Ding Ding Dinged our way along the first troll run and it wasn't long before Beau hooked the first fish of the trip, at 40cm it was no monster but still more than enough to put a big grin on a 4 year olds dial.
First fish of the trip.jpg
Still worth a smile.jpg
A mate and his missus had joined us for the trip and they were trolling a few hundred metres away when not long after he hooked a better fish. In the high 60's it was fat and full of fight and very silver in colour. Nice! It looked like the fish were on the chew and we managed to land a few more before deciding to head back to camp before dark to settle in before the insects took over.
JO Barra.jpg
Dads Barra.jpg
Beau Barra.jpg
I was back on the water early next morning with my boys but we may as well have had a leisurely start like my missus and mates as the much anticipated early morning bite was a fizzer and the the fish didn't come on again until mid morning. With fish coming at pretty regular intervals during the bite it didn't take long to work out one section of the billabong was holding the juvenile fish, mostly hanging around a gravelly rock bar while the better fish were sitting on some deeper weed beds a few hundred meters away. A bit of focus on this area producing some nice fish over the next hour or 2 until the bite shut down. Time for us to have a bite too....... :chef2: :drinking2:

Back on the water for the afternoon session and it was on again with nice fish coming at regular intervals for a couple of hours before it once again shut down just as quick as it fired up. Mid morning and mid afternoon seemed to be the prime times and it was nice to be getting amongst some better fish given the massive numbers of first year fish in a lot of the freshwater fisheries at the moment.
Beau again.....jpg
Toby barra.jpg
One for Mum.jpg
One more quick fish on the last morning and we managed to pluck a few more nice Barra and finished the trip with a quality Toga for Toby.
Billabong Baz.jpg
Tobys Toga.jpg
It was a cracker few days, we had the place to ourselves, the nights were cool, the days pleasantly breezy and the company good. Add a bit of :drinking1: :catch: and :jester: and I reckon we'll be back sooner rather than later.

:cheers:

Melv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Coupla days on the billabong

Post by jeffish »

Cool post mate , plenty of good fish there to keep the gang interested . :mrgreen:
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Looks like an awesome family trip Melv. Great seeing so many smiles of success! Well done mate.
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Good stuff mate :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers grumpy
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

Cant complain with a campin trip like that mate..........nice work!!
Spotter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spotter »

Good report mate. Making the most of the top end lifestyle.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Looks like the good Lord threw you a bit of compo, a perfect family day :mrgreen:

All the other stuff (possessions) not so important.
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Nice trip Melv, even your beloved Tigers have been firing up of late!
:mrgreen:
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Matt Flynn wrote:Looks like the good Lord threw you a bit of compo, a perfect family day :mrgreen:
Yeah Matt, early on in the Perons trip with Agent 86 I thought my fishing mojo might've gone with the boat but it seems to be back now. Was a beaut trip, even though I got out fished by a 4 year old..........
NBN wrote:Nice trip Melv, even your beloved Tigers have been firing up of late!
:mrgreen:
They have mate, just building for next year, or maybe the year after, or the year after that...........................

:cheers:
Melv
Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Dinger »

Well done, some clean lookn fish there as well
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

defo nothing like a good day or two on the bongs catching fish. Nice one.
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au