Shoal Bay Sweet n Sour

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
skotty74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shoal Bay Sweet n Sour

Post by skotty74 »

Headed over to SB yesterday and for the first time in awhile was beautiful heading over...
I had a chat to old mate at the ramp when I was locking the car up and he said all boats were reporting that it was cr.p fishing, so I was hopeful I would get a few but not brimming with confidence.
Got over to my little spot and locked in, was bl..dy hot and as usual very slow until the tide turns at the front which normally starts things going and the water starts to green up a bit.
Hot was an understatement there was zero breeze and I threw my canopy out awhile back cos it was giving me the sads (el cheapo) so I was starting to wonder if it was worth it, which is pretty standard emotion for an SB lock in from my experience.
After awhile I got onto a few fish, ended up boating about 12 between 50cm and 75cm.
As SB does all the channels into my spot had moved (I hadn't fished this particular spot since September) so when the tide finally arrived, resembling a Tsunami, some 4 hours after low out the front, in the pitch black, I ended up on a sandbar for half an hour. Managed to get off of this and get out and going, got about level with the rock when brrrr... motor died... started again, got going brrrr... not good, was starting to get rough... after about the third attempt she wouldn't start again... by now I was within reach of the buff creek mouth but it was starting to get rough. I got the electric going on a heading and started trying to sort out what it could be... after getting into the mouth of buff I finally narrowed it down to a faulty connection on the back of the isolator switch.
Pretty long day I didnt get back to the ramp till about 915pm but I guess the one nice fish I kept in the esky, the lesson learned about the lead, and the yarn to tell does make it worth while.
Ive had plenty of nightmares over there but it's my favourite place to fish :)
Got a couple of pics but I still can't take decent pics when Im solo haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“The solution to any problem –work, love, money, whatever –is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be.” –John Gierach
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shoal Bay Sweet n Sour

Post by theodosius »

Well done mate amd good job getting yourself out of trouble!
burners
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by burners »

Sweet n Sour alright skotty, sounds like a big day....
b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Post by b-radical »

Great Effort i say especially going solo

cheers
:cheers:
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

At least you got a good feed. And got out of trouble
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Cool report skotty , good self rescue as well :mrgreen:
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Every fish from SB is worth the effort I reckon. Great yarn :cool:

I was out there for the first time in a long while the other week and had to delete some of my markers for some channels that had shifted. JB Hifi sell a nifty phone holder for solo pics with a suction and tilts and turns that I stick on the window.
skotty74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skotty74 »

Nice one Ninja might have to get a bit flash and grab one !

The problem re-occurred today at home while testing, after I had cleaned and applied terminal protector to every connection in the boat.
The final culprit was actually the main earth cable inside the motor where the bolt had come loose or perhaps was never tightened properly when the motor was fitted?
Hopefully thats the end of that.
“The solution to any problem –work, love, money, whatever –is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be.” –John Gierach
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

congrats on the fish top session .and well done on getting back into buff with a dicky motor ,nothing worse than having that feeling when heading home of is the motor going to stop and im stuck out here all night .