Fish ID Please and cheeky croc.

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Fish ID Please and cheeky croc.

Post by mako »

Second photo, caught this fish casting a lure in a few feet of water inside a creek in the harbour, anyone know what species it is? Also dropped one barra and caught a rock cod, released to fight another day. The other photo is a crocodile that swam past the boat then up the bank next to the boat, could have reached out and touched its tail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fish ID Please and cheeky croc.

Post by ghound »

ha ha every I see a post like this I think Mother in law fish.
Stuffed if I know what it is Mako never seen one before. Nice looking fish though!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Looks like a juvenile smallmouth nannygai. Normally caught out on reefs.

There are four "redfish" in the NT.

1. Indon snapper (reddies) - very common on the coastal wrecks and reefs, has white border on some fins
2. Smallmouth nannygai
3. Largemouth nannygai
4. Paddletail (not very common, only on the wider reefs, has an unusual tail with large lobes, implicated in ciguatera)

Could probably count red emperor as redfish too. Just a slang term that gets thrown around.

Smallmouth and largemouth look similar when young. Pretty sure the pic is a smallmouth. Didn't think they'd ever be caught in a creek.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Interesting , might just be the camera angle ,the lateral lies in the scale pattern is something I've not seen on the reef species we catch.
031.JPG
Yours looks a bit more roundish , pretty sure the one in my pic is a Small mouth nanny as I catch plenty at this spot .
Never got one up a creek before , so hard to identify juvenile fish I'll leave it to an expert ,,,

cool pics , Cheers :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

That one is an Indon snapper Jeff. Some Darwin fishos just call them reddies. The lines on nannygai are only on juveniles