Shady Saturday

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Shady Saturday

Post by NT Wombat »

Went out to Shady Saturday for the neaps. I never do much good at the mouth on the run out so my plan was to have a quick look at the mouth, check for bait, barra and if other boats were hooking up and if it didnt look much good rip out to some jewie marks a mate gave me. Got to the mouth at about 7 and no bait, very few fish on the sounder and no one hooking up so headed out to the furthest mark I had. Found a good looking lump with good fish showing from half way down right to the bottom. First drop produced a 60cm cod, followed by 3 or 4 meter long sharks. I said last drop on this spot then we move somewhere else to get away from the sharks. No sooner had my bait hit the bottom when something with more weight and less speed grabbed it and headed off. I knew it was serious when I could see the spool on my saragosa through the braid but luckily it pulled up before I ran out of line and I spent the next 10 minutes getting my new PB Jewie to the boat. At 131cm I was stoked. By now the low had bottomed out and the bite stopped. Couldn't even catch another shark so we motored back to the sampan mouth. We trolled in from about 2km out looking for signs of bait and fish but nothing. Heaps of Jellyfish which were a pain. My mate Dave hooked one and pulled in a big chunk of it on one of his trebles. After removing it he needed to pee. A quick word of advice. If you have just removed jellyfish from your hook wash your hands before handling sensitive body parts!! :rofl: He was in quite a bit of pain for a while and none of us were offering any assistance. Anyhow once we got in closer to the mouth we found about an acre of schooling mullet moving into the river on the first push in with a few boofs and sprays of nervous fish. Most boats were fruitlessly trolling the opposite bank so we had a prime looking spot all to ourselves. After a couple of trolls for no result with the usual B52's, bombers and stradas I thought i'd try something different and tied on a small homemade shallow runner. It lasted 50 meters and was nailed by an 80cm fish which gave a good account of itself before finding the net. Unfortunately my tupperware bib wasn't up to the task and that was the lure one and only fish for the day. Easy job to replace it so no dramas. The other two fellas switched to smaller lures as well, a just under and a 9cm Rapala and next troll Dave was onto a similar sized fish that spat the lure halfway to the boat. By then the tide had risen and the bait had dispersed into the river and the bite window slammed shut. We made our way back up the river to chase Rats. Every little barrage had a mountain of 30-40cm fish and we kept ourselves busy for an hour or so catching and releasing a heap of them before pulling the pin and heading home. It had been a pretty slow day with only the two decent fish but i'd upgraded my PB jewfish and caught a good barra on a homemade lure so I was happy as.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shady Saturday

Post by tristan.sloan »

Great report mate and that is a cracking jewfish
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Well done Jamie
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great trip, cracker jewie and good advice about jellyfish handling procedures ... I assume he didn't use the vinegar :D
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Ripper jewfish mate. Good to see someone other than the pros getting a few
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

It's been slow at the mouth this year - I personally think a lot of barra are up the river. There's way more bait and rats around the barrages than the last couple of years. I reckon if we dont get more rain the next neaps will go off as the bait and big fish move out of the system to the mouth.

I'm probably wrong but!
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Great story!

Good on ya

Cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Hemi will be on here soon taking credit for the boat mojo.....

Great day Wombat. How good is it catching a fish on a homemade; Well done!!
:mrgreen:
b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Post by b-radical »

Great story Wombat, good day to remember
:cheers:
sharkbait
Seadog
Seadog

Post by sharkbait »

Awesome work. I've done a similar thing with the jellyfish out there, thought I'd got all of it off, but apparently not. Not a mistake I'll be making twice, that's for sure.
sharkbait
Seadog
Seadog

Post by sharkbait »

Awesome work. I've done a similar thing with the jellyfish out there, thought I'd got all of it off, but apparently not. Not a mistake I'll be making twice, that's for sure.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

NBN wrote:Hemi will be on here soon taking credit for the boat mojo.....

Great day Wombat. How good is it catching a fish on a homemade; Well done!!
:mrgreen:
That boat has caught some crackers now. The boats PB's are:
Barra: 100.1cm
Jewfish: 131cm
Longtail tuna: 120cm
Queenfish: 136cm
Snapper: 72cm

It's a ripper of a boat, just as at home up the creeks dropping pots as it is at North Gutter jigging Macks.
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Impressive lineup in only a couple of years!
I like the 0.1 to susbstantiate a bonafide metery :D
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

[quote="
I like the 0.1 to susbstantiate a bonafide metery :D[/quote]

Yep it was a bee's d**k over, my brother in laws first