Barra on the vic river

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
ccutting93
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Barra on the vic river

Post by ccutting93 »

Went to the Vic over the weekend to try our luck. First time fishing there for me and one of my deckies had only been once. Heard from a friend that livies were the go and he was getting fish at the Baines. So we were set. Finished work early and set out for timber creek. Put in and cruised down to angalari Friday arvo for the night. Next morning trolled up 1 in angalari only to drop him right at the edge of the boat bugger. So we decided to chase bait and find a good creek. After a few hours of exploring, trolling and a couples dozen throws of the cast net we had our bait and by that time we were nearing the baines river mouth. We found a nice looking creek with plenty of bait moving inside and out front, the tide had turned and was on its way in now. This is us I thought, so down went the anchor and out went the mullet. Before we could flick a lure the first bait was off and moving. Then nothing for twenty minutes or so, then my bait was off so I put on some pressure and let the circle hook do its job with a nice 65 in the boat. No sooner we had landed that one and taken a few photos and half dozen high fives another bait went and then another 2 minutes later. Now we had a 68 and 76 in the boat the mood had definitely ramped up. After a four hour session we had ended up with 11 fish in the boat and probably the same number dropped or loss to snags. We were going to head home then but decided to stay the night there and use the rest of our baits to try and get that big one. After a short shower of rain at about 8pm we hooked up on one last fish for the night that put on an awesome show. Slowly managing to get her out of the snags and into clear water we got her up beside the boat for the first real look. We estimated her to be about 90 because as soon as we had her near the boat she had one last lunge, gill racked the leader and was gone DAMN. Early the next morning we got smashed by a storm for about 45 minutes, thank god I threw the large tarp in, as it went by we got up and were about to try for few more big gals only to see another scud brewing and bearing down. So we tucked tail and headed for home. Off the water by 9am still full of smiles from our beginners luck. Can't wait to get back out there busting a few more. Cheers to the boys for the great weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ccutting93 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Barra on the vic river

Post by theodosius »

Well done, worth the k's!
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Barra on the vic river

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Great report, well done mate.