CQ - Christmas lead-up outing.

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

CQ - Christmas lead-up outing.

Post by ronje »

Hello all

As 2016 is nearly ended, brother and I went estuary fishing.

Had a good day of it at one of our favourite spots.

Interesting about the range of species all at the same spot.

Golden snapper - 22
Barred Grunter - 24
Blue Salmon - 3
Black Jew - 1
Gold Spot Cod - 44
Grassy Sweetlip - 1
Coral Trout - 1
Trevally - 2
Queenfish - 1
Barramundi - 11

Total 109

10 of the barra up to 80cm were caught with 78mm Jackal Squirrels (6) and 100mm drop-bear squidgies (4). Jeez those squirrels are good lures Sardine (blue back) ones.

ALL of the rest (including the other barramundi @ 81cm) were caught on gulp jigs................Mainly 4 inch grubs of chartreuse or pumpkin seed colour. Few on red/green grubs and 4 inch Gulp shrimps.

I'm a convert to Gulp now. Have played around with it a bit but am now getting serious with 3 spinning rods for jigging.

This gulp stuff has simply gotta work in the Daly/Roper rivers and others for deeper water fishing as an alternative to hard bodies or soft plastics.

Anybody use 'em much up there?

All fish released.

Regards
Ronje
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: CQ - Christmas lead-up outing.

Post by NBN »

Not hard to see why it's a favourite spot!!

Massive fan of Gulp generally; the only fish I regularly target that I haven't caught on them is Murray Cod, probably because I find it difficult to cut a spinner bait off.

Been my most successful lure on the Daly for the past 6 or 7 years. 4inch minnow in Chartreuse. Once you learn how to effectively use it (which is not hard but takes some practice and patience) rigged weedless, it will out fish most lures in many circumstances; in my experience.

For example; of the 180 odd Barra I landed on the Daly in April/May this year the Chartreuse and Watermelon Pearl accounted for circa 75%. NB: river was basically dry season level, in a runoff scenario there would be a heap of more capable selections.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

What a trip you had with your brother, well done!
:mrgreen:

I used the Gulp in Billabong, and the Saratoga loved them.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

NBN wrote: there would be a heap of more capable selections.
There were a few rockbars on the Roper that we trolled with success.

Wish I'd had the Gulp option at that time.

We did have a little bit of success with TerraEyes but didn't try them on the rockbars as bigger fish were present and I wasn't confident with the little TerraEyes hooks. Still not.

One of my mates from the Roper trips now works at the gas plant and fishes the Daly regularly.

He tells me that TerraEyes are still very popular and account for metries regularly. I reckon you'd need plenty of clear space and go with soft hands.
Regards
Ronje