Daly Fished OK

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

Daly Fished OK

Post by jpb15 »

My Father and I left Work Early, Last Thursday, and Headed Down the Daly, for the Weekend.
First Time in Over 3 Months, which is a Long Time for us.
Arrived at the Boat Ramp Friday Morning, to find 2 Trailers Parked, and 1 Just Launching on the Ramp.
The Tide was coming in, fairly Fast. It was just after 8.00 am.
Headed down, and Just Below Browns, Fish Action every where, Mostly Mullet, I guess, but it did look Good.
Decided to Stop at Charlies, to wait for the Top of the Tide, which happened pretty Quick.
I caught a Small Barra, just after the Change, and that was it.
Went down Further, and Stopped at a Favourite Spot, and Shortly after arriving, My Father is On. A 57 cm, Thank You Very Much, we kept it.
After a few more Baits taken, I have a 62 cm, on the Floor. He also is in our 56 - 65 cm Size range, and we Kept him.
It went Quiet for a while, and we decided to head back, Fishing a Couple of locations, on the way.
Stopped again at Charlies, to Catch 1 more 57 cm, that we Released, and went through the rest of our Bait, mostly on undersized Fish.
For the Day, we Caught 2 X 57 cm, 1 X 62 cm, a Few more Smaller Barra, and Fed Plenty of Others. No p o w e r t a i l, No Sharks, No Snags

Day 2, Decided to do the same as the Day before, Tide was Coming in again, and So, it meant the Turn was going to be Later.
Headed Down Stream, and it was Nothing like the Day before, No Fish Action on the Surface.
Stopped at Charlies, to get Nothing.
Left about Half an hour, after the Change, to head Down to our Favourite Spot.
The Night Before, I Promised a Fish, to the Park Care Taker, who had been Down the River, for a Month, and not Catch a Keeper, and was heading back to Queensland, Sunday.
And so the pressure was on.
Well, we Fished for a few Hours, Loosing Bait after Bait, to Undersized Fish, and Hits, and Misses.
Down to 1 last Dead Bait, and I'm On, put up a pretty good Fight, missed the Net a Couple of Times, to End up, on the Floor.
A 64 cm Barra, :clap: with a Tag, a Yellow Tag. Normally we let Tagged Fish go, but he was Promised, and so he went Home with us. :chef2:
Heading Back, we turned a Corner, to be Looking at a Darkening Sky. We Motored on, to hit Drizzle, which wasn't too Bad.
Then it Started coming down Harder, and I slowed down.
It was a case of Slowing Down, and hoping it goes Over, or Keep Going, because it might get worse.
We pushed on, Slowing when it got bad, and going, when it was comfortable.
We finally got back to the Boat Ramp, and it started to become more Drizzle, than Rain.
Got back to Camp, and it Bucketed Down. :cheers:
The Sat TV was Out, so we missed most of the AFL Grand Final.
But the Caretaker was happy with his fish. :applause:
Caught 1 X 64 cm, many smaller Fish, 1 X Small Stingray, No Powertail, No Sharks, 1 Tree :banghead:

Sunday
A Short Day, Have to go to Work.
Left 8.00 am,
Tide Coming in again, Decide to go straight down to our Spot.
Met a Nomad going through Browns, and decided to help him out.
Let him follow me through all the Problems, letting him know about the Main Rock Bar, and Other Problems, that we know about.
Took him down to our spot, only to find out, he was going back to Queensland on Monday, Fishless.
He caught a Couple in the Finniss, I think, and has eaten them, but currently Fishless.
I asked him if he would like 1, if we caught it, and he obviously accepted. :bonk:
As it turned out, My Father Caught a 59 cm, that made the Nomad Happy, and then when he was away Flicking Lures, I was lucky enough to Catch a 66 cm.
It was time to leave, and we left the Nomad with our 2 Fish, Our last 4 Baits, and our Fishing Spot. :fishing: (I am sure everyone has fished there)
We Caught 1 X 59 cm, 1 X 66 cm, many under sized, 1 X Shark, 1 x Powertail No Snags.
When we got back to the Boat Ramp, there was a 4 metre Crocodile Sitting on the Surface, right where you launch.
I have not seen a Crocodile anywhere near the Ramp Before.
I did accelerate over it, to Scare it away, but it did not seem to concerned. SO BE CAREFULL :croc: :croc:
At the end of the trip, we caught 6 Keepers, 57 - 66 cm, many in the 50 - 54 cm, a few Smaller fish, a couple of other Fish, but we went through 56 Baits, all but a couple lost to Fish.
There was no "Hot Time", but a couple of times we got hit, at the same time.
It was just every 20 mins, half hour, there was a bit of action.
It was one of the better Trips, than we have had in a long time. :drinking1:

Sick of coming home Fishless
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Daly Fished OK

Post by ronje »

Good report.

What bait were u using?

Didn't think there'd be many nomads around this time of year getting warmer.

Did you get the tag and fish details?
Regards
Ronje
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Well done. Must be only the bravest grey nomads left down there!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great report, like all the detail. Gives me a bit of a barra fix!
jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jpb15 »

Thanks for the feed back.
We managed to Find our 20 Cherabin each day, and that is all we used.
I am fairly sure, they were the last Couple of Nomads still around. I don't think there was anyone at Woolianna.
I think we Passed one Van heading towards the Daly, when we were on our way out.
Yes, I kept the Tag, and I have passed the information on to Afant.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I was at the Roper last year at this time, was only two other lots of campers at Tomato Island, and they didn't hang around.
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Great read and you r a very generous fisherman. Well done.
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

Gday Mate,
I was at the Daly about 4 weeks ago and couldnt catch a bl..dy cherabin at all. What sort of bait were u using?? I normally palce my pots up around woolliana which is quite rocky and normally do well.

I was using dog pellets, tins of cat food, velvet soap to no avail.
jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jpb15 »

Quinntreximon wrote:Great read and you r a very generous fisherman. Well done.
Not really that generous, There isn't too many people fishing Down there at the moment. The reason I decided to go Down that Weekend, was because of the Rain they Had in Katherine, the Week before.
There was a Wave of water, flowing down the River, that was going to make that Weekend, different than any, in the last 3 months.
I just hoped the small Rise, then the Drop, might make a Positive difference, an I think it did.
The conditions have probably gone back to normal by now.
I think George Catching the $ 10,000 fish at the Crossing, will send more Fishers down there, than my little story.
wazdog wrote:Gday Mate,
I was at the Daly about 4 weeks ago and couldnt catch a bl..dy cherabin at all. What sort of bait were u using?? I normally palce my pots up around woolliana which is quite rocky and normally do well.

I was using dog pellets, tins of cat food, velvet soap to no avail.
We have had plenty of success, catching Cherabin, off the Rocks, out the front of Woolianna, in the past.
We are now using a mix of Dry Cat food, Tinned Cat food, and Tuna Oil.