Solo Flick.... almost got lucky East Point and base

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Solo Flick.... almost got lucky East Point and base

Post by mickkk »

Haven't been fishing for a while, all of my mates with boats have been busy, or I have not been able to make it when they can.

Anyway for some silly reason I thought would get up at sparrows fart and try my luck at East Point on the out going tide. Well I left my place at girraween at 5.10 and got to East point about 5.45. Just as I turned onto east point road a shower came across. I checked the radar on the phone and there wasn't anything at all. So I jumped out and grabbed my gear. Not only had a for my hat and sunnies again I also didn't bring my head torch.
So with my phone in hand with the tiny flash light on I set off. I started heading and around the front (right at the end of east point) there was a 600 mm swell breaking in. I walked back around where it was a bit more shelted. I flicked around one of them prawns (plastic) for a while with not much luck.Got smashed by 3 storm fronts rolling in and was soaked before the sun even got up. It was pretty hard going till the Sun come up as I couldn't see the lure, and ended up with a few birds nest.
I then put a small yellow and orange weedless lures they were talking about from KO tackle (I think it was something Baitz).
To my surprise I hooked a fish. After bit of a fight he took to the air, a barra. After a short sharp orgasm, knees trembling I kept fighting the fish, wasn't huge, my guess would have been about 60. But this was the closest I have ever came to catching a barra. After what felt like ten Min's (which was probably more like 1 or 2 min.) the bastard got off. It looked like my knot came untied, but the leader was pretty cut up too, so not a 100% sure.
I remember hearing someone on tails from the tinny saying if you drop a fish land based you should just pack up and go home. This went through my head, but I was on a high and wanted to finally land one. But that was the only action all morning and called it a day just after 8.

I tied the knot where you do the granny know, through the eyelet and back through the granny knot, 1/2 hitch and then back through the knot again(if that makes any sense). After this I reverted to my boy scout days and tied reef knot and 1/2 hitch. Is this wise or knot :D . I put on a soft plastic after this and it got snagged in a rock and I lost everything and busted the braid. I had 30 pound braid, 60 pond leader. I tied the leader on with a GS knot ( i think that's what its called)

Any other advise would be appreciated too. One day it will happen.

Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Solo Flick.... almost got lucky East Point and base

Post by Camfish »

Uni knot, never failed me even on big game gear.

and a plus side of this knot, you can learn a Double Uni-Knot, this is a very good knot for tieing leader to braid.

same thing basicly, when you are ready for that one just youtube how to tie it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Camfish »

on sixty pound i would go through five time's. but when you get used to tie'ing the knot you'll know how many time's to turn it ( when i use 2lb i normaly go through 8-14 time's.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I used to use that knot, but I was told if you put a loop style knot you get a better action on the lure
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Bein a half blind ,lazy bugger, I use a small halco ballbearing coastlock. Tie a locked halfblood, and albright for the braid to mono.Never had it fail.
Generally use 20lb braid/40lb Black Magic leader. Dont drop too many fish.
For th blue, 50lb braid/60lb leader.
Round th rocks, it pays to have a bit more length to the leader, keeps th braid away from th nasty stuff, I have it long enough to take two turns round the spool with a foot from rod tip to lure.
Everyone has their own setup..That works for me.
Graham.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Camfish »

mickkk wrote:I used to use that knot, but I was told if you put a loop style knot you get a better action on the lure

When tied correctly the uni knot will form a loop that will tighten when you hook a fish, it act's as a mini shock absorber for that big hit.
Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Camfish »

Figure 3 is what the knot should look like when finished, leave's you with the loop for the action and shock absorbtion.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

This is a great knot, easy to tie and very strong across all line diameters, you can also use it as a loop by not pulling it too tight,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7bgzeBxqGk
I Wish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by I Wish »

I use the rapala loop for all of my lures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW9hROQDGlc

I personally use fluorocarbon leader when fishing off the rocks and hate the Blackmagic leader as it is too soft and knots don't seem to hold as well.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Camfish wrote:
mickkk wrote:I used to use that knot, but I was told if you put a loop style knot you get a better action on the lure

When tied correctly the uni knot will form a loop that will tighten when you hook a fish, it act's as a mini shock absorber for that big hit.
That makes sense, I like this knot, it is what I always used to use for everything, but was trying to get the loop type know. Would I just keep it about 20mm long loop? Is there a risk of it snapping. It does seem to make sense to me tho, but just thought it would double check.

Also would it be worth fishing the incoming on a big tide at sun up, or wait till the out going around 930 am, say like next what will happen next weekend :D

Cheers all for the input.
Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Camfish »

mickkk wrote:
Camfish wrote:

That makes sense, I like this knot, it is what I always used to use for everything, but was trying to get the loop type know. Would I just keep it about 20mm long loop? Is there a risk of it snapping. It does seem to make sense to me tho, but just thought it would double check.

Also would it be worth fishing the incoming on a big tide at sun up, or wait till the out going around 930 am, say like next what will happen next weekend :D

Cheers all for the input.

Basicly you skip stage four (tightning the knot to the hook)
and tighten it to the ligh (leaveing the loop) and no chance of breaking becouse you skiped stage four.

stage 3 is the finish if you want a loop. stage four is if you dont want a loop.

use this know and get the loop going. if you still dont understand i'll make a video for you.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Its all good, Ill bedoing this next time I head out.

Got any other tips for me, you seem to clean up land based.
Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Camfish »

get out there!, cant catch a fish without a rod in the water, rain hail or shine it's always a good time to fish.