Roads that are closed

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Roads that are closed

Post by maxpower »

This is what I can gather from the info around and what people are telling me. Doesn't leave many options besides close to home. If anyone knows different I would love to hear. I am keen to head out tomorrow.

Arnhem Highway closed at Adelaide River Floodplain? What level does it open again to high clearance 4X4? I did it at 600mm the other day no probs. Will I cop a fine if it is closed and I get caught?

Adelaide River too high to get a boat downstream under the bridge?

Daly Closed.

Dundee closed? Is this correct?

Gunn Point Road Closed.

Roper Closed.

Feel like Ive gone back in time to Carlos. Is it really April 8th?

Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Roads that are closed

Post by Turtle »

I think Dundee is open.. might be rough tho.

And at the moment from what I gather its still a $50 fine for driving on closed roads, but they want to bump it up a little to $13,000.

Probably to help cover the costs of recovering those who disobey the closure and get stuck halfway across and drown their car and get their photo taken as they sit on the roof. ;)
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
juniorhein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by juniorhein »

can you get to point stuart any other way other than Arnhem highway? eg Pine creek - Jabiru?
Big Dan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Big Dan »

Can go via Pine Creek, 550km from Darwin to Shady Camp.

Done it once, that was enough.............make sure your car and trailer are up to it.
Jewbious
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Jewbious »

juniorhein wrote:can you get to point stuart any other way other than Arnhem highway? eg Pine creek - Jabiru?
Buff creek to Marsh is 100km and 2hrs20mins, did it 3 weeks ago on 35 ltrs each way with 90 horse honda. Left buff creek at 7.00pm and arrived @ marsh 9.20pm to find it lit up like a glow worm cave with 6 other boats all camped out for the night. With a couple of boats pulling anchor through the night I still ended up with an primo spot to flick from. In the morning every man and his dog were probing every nook and cranny at the Mouth with a couple of small bazzas and 1 theady landed after 2 hrs of 6 boats fishing it hard while tide was dropping. I bit the bullet and decided to head up Marsh to the Barrage, got half way up to find the bank had collapsed and there is now an island in the middle of the creek with 2 trees partially blocking each side. Pushing up the left side got me through, then I started thinking how was i going to get out, as the tide was dropping!! :bonk: . AAAhhh she'll be right got a few hrs and a few :drinking2: to think about it as I tied up above the barrage. Pulled 20 rats 30cm to 40cm, played with the Tarpon on small Bream poppers for about half hr then went back to the bazzas with allmost the same result with the exception of a 68cm and a 70cm. :idea: So I had had a bit of time to think how the fahg I was going to get past that tree :titanic:. The trip back down was slow as the water was pushing that fast I had the motor in reverse all the way untill I got to the "Island" which now had a large log Breaking the surface on the side I squeezed through on the way in. After sizeing up the situation I knew there would only be 1 chance at this, Plan A :x Gunned it pushing the nose over the log, with following ragging current not such a good idea :banghead: as the transom started getting pushed side ways and the boat starting to roll on it side I leapt foward to counter act the force of the water. Now poised on the bow with nowhere to go came plan B. Cutting up the anchor rope and using the over hanging branches to winch the hull over the log cm by cm after 3/4hr finally got over to find no water out the front, waited for the tide to come in and headed back to Buff crk where my Nephew was waiting with the trailer @ 6.00 pm.
Telling a mate about my moment of lunacy I discovered that another boat had sunk the week before in the same spot doing the same thing!!. One Bloke fishing the mouth had mentioned to keep an eye on the sounder for a boat on the bottom some where up there, allthough I didn't see it on the HDS side scan I could now mark the spot where it went down, poor buggers.
I Think Mes Vary Lucky......Stupid........F#*ken Idiot ......etc
Jewbious
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Jewbious »

sorry about last post!! just meant to say you could go around the coast if weather lets you
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

Jewbious, thanks for the heads up on your story. Worth reading and heeding, that is for sure.

Maxpower, Dundee is open. A very slow drive down that way once you hit the dirt. The road is full of potholes on the dirt, just drive really slowly and give yourself plenty of time to get there.

I have taken a week off work, put my leave in months ago, thinking she will be perfect. Far canal. I think that I will be doing the 550km Darwin to Shady trip on Tues for a few days of drinking and hopefully some fishing.

Doors Off
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dex38 »

I second Doors Off in driving slow on the Dundee road. I nearly land launched my boat on that road a few years back. The car went into a wash out and I hit a pot hole which the car soaked up but the tralier didn't like it much.

Dex
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

juniorhein wrote:can you get to point stuart any other way other than Arnhem highway? eg Pine creek - Jabiru?

You can get there via Pine Creek Mate. Takes about 600km. :mrgreen:
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

for a $50 fine i would just go straight down the arnhem if your car is capable of it
i was always of the beliefv it was a $2000 fine for driveing down a closed road
can anyone confirm how much the fine is ????
unseen1
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by unseen1 »

DOUG wrote:for a $50 fine i would just go straight down the arnhem if your car is capable of it
And then some poor emergency services guy has to give up his time to come get you if you get in trouble. ... yeah id do that too :/
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

DOUG wrote:for a $50 fine i would just go straight down the arnhem if your car is capable of it
i was always of the beliefv it was a $2000 fine for driveing down a closed road
can anyone confirm how much the fine is ????
I was interested to know myself so i called the cops. No it's not $50 or $2000 IT'S $13000.
Yep $13K plus you pay for the costs of any rescue that has to happen. (Chopper @ nearly $2k / hr, plus the coppers time plus ambos plus plus.)

then if you cause any damage to the road, you will be up for the coast of repairs.

Think again I reckon
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

$2000 is what I heard apparantly some bloke copped $2000 after driving through the Adl river floodplain this week. I heard that on the Tinne this morning
Robbo82
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Robbo82 »

This whole road closure thing is a pain in the arse especially now the weather isnt as good as is was predicted a few days ago. If they had it set up so that people knew the depth and had information etc before they crossed it should be up to the individual to make that decision. They dont close boat ramps when the ocean gets rough, its up to the individual to know their limits and their boats limits. Should be the same with a car. A good 4x4 shouldnt be in the same category as a small car. Just my thoughts, or maybe my frustration at trying to get out fishing and my plans changing every few hrs.
Cheers guys.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

unseen1 wrote:
And then some poor emergency services guy has to give up his time to come get you if you get in trouble. ... yeah id do that too :/
can you not read or you only read what you wont to :roll: :roll: :roll: if your car is capable is what i said :o :o i know my cars are capable of much more than what the arnhem highway is as its bitumen all the way and it aint flowing at all
i beleive it should be cross at your own risk and at your own costs if something happens how about the cops that drowned the pursuit car what where they thinking trying to cross it in a bl..dy sedan
as far as the road being damaged goes its aload of poop in my opionion the roads up here are poop and the contractors laying them arent held accountable
for the poop they lay and call bitumen :banghead: :banghead: after any flood the roads will be damaged anyways the main damage is done by the road train carrying 50t of dirt at a time across soft bitumen maybe just a load limit on the roads during the wettest part of the wet season???
look at the new sections of dundee after the annie river that would be a year old and it is complety stuffed and needs to be re done its not even in the low liying areas where the water flows and washes it away its up in the ridgy type country where its worst and the
last part before the track to stingray head is pretty stuffed but that wasnt sealed yet i wonder if roads will put culverts in where the road has washed out or just rebuild it up again to wash out next year :bricks: