Road Trip to Daly 27th

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Rammers
Silver Member
Silver Member

Road Trip to Daly 27th

Post by Rammers »

Well its been a long time between barras, but finally i managed to land one with "skill and class" :rofl:

Its been a long time in the making, Mataranka 3 days in a row land base trying desperately for a barra with little success........Finniss river land base and boat, for only black brim......also two trips to the Howard rock bar on the back of the quad over the Christmas periods for only a bull shark...... :banghead:

After all of maxpowers stories about big barra down the Daly….my boyfriend and I decided to go for a drive, after another unsuccessful trip to the Howard rock bar. We stopped at Manton culvert, wasn't flowing.....stopped at Tortilla flats Adelaide river, about 1-2m below the bridge and flowing hard, flicked that for a bit lost both our soft plastics, so decided it was time to keep moving on. We checked out the Daly river level on-line and it was around 6m above the crossing and holding, we knew it was going to rise at some stage with Katherine bridge being around 10m. What else were we going to do?? So off we went.

Got down to Bamboo creek and the river was high, there was very little movement in bamboo, but not running backwards. We went down for a flick and a couple of young lads were fishing with live bait. They had a couple of runs for only p o w e r t a i l. We moved down a bit and flicked a little back Eddie. The BF got a hit from a barra, but it wasn't real keen. Then he landed a bull shark, ive never seen one landed with a lure!! That was it, off to Browns creek. We got down there, the track was quite wet and slippery, and flicked for a bit. We moved over to a back Eddie near the car as rain was threatening and we were going to bolt as soon as there was rain as the track wasn't the best. Things were looking very quite.... :roll:

Typical me got a small birds nest (been doing that a lot lately) and the soft plastic was just over the bank in the water. I got the birds nest off (must of been jiggling the soft plastic) and as soon as i got tension on the line, there was a bl..dy barra on!! I couldn't believe it!. So he ran to the car and got the fish grippers and pulled the fish up for me, i was going to try and pull it up with the leader (one of the locals was a bit nervous hearing a big croc), but BF wasn't going to let me drop the fish. Got it up the bank and it was a lot bigger than i thought it was, a nice silver and lean 82cm!! I offered it to the locals who were fishing just on the point, was too silver to throw back and we of course (were shocking at that) had nothing big enough to put the fish in and keep it cool....they gladly took it as they were only catching rats. :catch:

I tried many a times to re-do my “skilled” hook up of the barra, of course for no result. Lady luck was on my side, must have been my sacrifice to the fishing gods a few months back when my rod and reel went in the drink with the cast net……

So finally the barra drought is broken!! The poor BF is still suffering in the drought, but surely it cant last too much longer......once upon a time he was known to pull a barra out of a puddle, seems ive stolen his mojo……..(hes going to love this post :cry: )

Have a happy new years fisho's!!

ps sorry bout the lack of posting form me lately, seemed i had a bit of a bug and couldnt log on for quite a while....not that i had much to report!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Road Trip to Daly 27th

Post by JewieQueen »

8) Nice fish chick!

Don't stress you can only come back up from here :mrgreen:
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
Chriso
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chriso »

Nice fish !! :mrgreen:

Lookin' good for the rest of the runoff! :D
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Nice fish Rammers :mrgreen:
PS: Dont worry about the Orridge boys they're always handy with the net (runs in the family) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:cheers: :cheers:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UNCLDUG »

8) 8) Good stuff Rammers , great lookin fish :applause: :applause:
Did you mob have a flick at the pipe on Bamboo ?????
Billster
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Billster »

Nice fish Rammers good to see you are back on the board.
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero" - Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow. (Horace)
or if all else fails
"C'est la vie"-Sh*t Happens
Rammers
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rammers »

no we didnt flick the pipe at bamboo, must work out where that is.....was my first land base fish down the daly.

Ernie, your right the orridge boys are great with netting, and i even have him trained better in taking photos, he was shocking to start off with!!
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Top stuff Rammers, Sounds like a fun trip. 82cm is a great fish.
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Nice work Rammers.

'bout time you found a fish. nice one too.

And I agree, Dave needs photo lessons.

Cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
lanber-lady
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by lanber-lady »

Great Story and Great Pics.
Cheers
For the New Year