teansfer box help

john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

teansfer box help

Post by john d »

Any mechanics on the forum need some help with this.
Have a 92, 80 series landcruiser wagon 4.2 diesel.
Took of from the lights last week , small bang and lost all geers. :banghead:
Low grinding sound and no go.
Put it into low ratio and went.
Selected diff lock in high range and the transfer works fine. :?
This model is constant 4wd with a diff inside the transfer box.
Figured I was running on frount axel so took of the rear shaft and nothing worked
Rear output shaft seems ok when the difflock is in.
Drained the oil , bit old with a small amount of metal but not what you would find if I had striped something.
Rear shaft back on and it drives fine with the difflock on with no vibrations or grinding noise
Turn of the difflock and it goes nowhere and makes an unhealthy noise.
Any sugestions as what has bust.
Is it repairable, I cant get a 2nd hand unit in Darwin for less than $2750 cause all the wreckers that I rung wont split it from the geerbox (and all had exactley the same price) :fubird:
I can get a 2nd hand one from south for $900 delivered. :mrgreen:
Any sugestions on a good geerbox mechanic.
If I can get it fixed for less than a grand it will save me having to change out the box myself, getting to old to crawl under cars these days
I can still drive it but wont put the boat behind it till it is fixed
Typical luck for a long weekend
:drinking1:

xray

Re: teansfer box help

Post by xray »

it sounds like the output shaft gear has stripped the spline,thats the gear that drives the rear tailshaft , it is repairable it wont be cheap ,new mainshaft and gear while its apart might as well do all the bearings as well
its a common problem when you tow in 5th gear or drive around to slow in 5th gear alowing the gear to rock on the teeth ,i used to look after a fleet of toyota toopies for a tour company would replace at least 4 gear boxs in a season with same problem
if you buy a second hand unit it may have the same problem or it might end up with the same problem be cheaper in the long run to rebuild
the guys at off road autos in bishop street rebuild gear boxs
good luck
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

My troopy did the same, and as xray says it was the output spline. It was just cheaper in the end to get a whole reco unit and get it put in, because everyone said same as xray. Mine has started to go chunk into 5th and then about 13 months later it all came apart...

Mine wouldnt go at all but I have no diff lock. Diff lock stops the diff losing power to the wheels that have no traction so thus you put traction to the front wheels

Cost lots but I cant remember how much in the end. I was going to get the guy at Mechanix in town to do mine but he was too busy at the time, he seems to know a hell of a lot about troopys. He has sold the business i think. He was the only person who could make my handbrake work!

If I were to do it again or rebuild one, I would look at a taller 5th gear, which is supposed to get rid of the problem altoether and give you a better tow speed (from what I read, I dont know if its acutally correct)

I got mine done by the mob out near Palmerston in the same industrial area as Voyager trailers
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Just remember the diff lock you are referring to is a centre lock in the transfer case... Not a true diff lock in the diff centre.

I have had a few apart but I HATE doing gearbox's.. I just get recon ones these days... Warranty and all.

The old 5 gear thing was common. As was the output shaft spline flogging out oh and the seal between the gear box and transfer case... Use to pump all ya oil into the gearbox... Cheap fix was 2 new filler plugs and a Hyd hose between them :-)
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

2rods wrote:Just remember the diff lock you are referring to is a centre lock in the transfer case... Not a true diff lock in the diff centre.

I have had a few apart but I HATE doing gearbox's.. I just get recon ones these days... Warranty and all.

The old 5 gear thing was common. As was the output shaft spline flogging out oh and the seal between the gear box and transfer case... Use to pump all ya oil into the gearbox... Cheap fix was 2 new filler plugs and a Hyd hose between them :-)
My seal just blew out last week.. Will pull it apart sometime during the week after work and changing seal + banging that hose between em so shouldnt happen again..
Shouldnt be too complicated to pull it apart right? I usually just teach myself how to do it.
Its on a 75 series cruiser too btw.
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Just put the hose in if you want to do it cheap and easy.
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

Na I dont like easy.. :P Ill just do it like all my other mechanical projects, pull it to pieces, find the broken bits, and put it back together roughly the same way and hope it works.
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Turtle it's a 10m job and your gonna make it a 2 day job haha
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

My 75's been going for 3 years with a rooted seal, leveller hose does the job