Spotlights for Hilux

UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Spotlights for Hilux

Post by UncleD »

Im sick of draining the water out of my spotties every time I go through a deep puddle. The Hella Rallye 1000s have served their purpose over many years of desert driving but it seems they are not designed for wet seasons.

What would people recommend as far as brand/ model Spottie's goes? They need to be able to cope with being periodically dunked and have their arses rattled off on Gunn point road.

On a slightly secondary matter, what's the pros and cons of roof mounted spotties? (aside from looking like a Rambo tosser) :naughty: I wonder about the roofline blocking the road immediately in front of the vehicle (particularly in a dual cab) and possible bonnet reflection...not to mention car park damage.....although they are unlikely to go under in creeks!

My Giddy Aunt!
Gregsy
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Spotlights for Hilux

Post by Gregsy »

Lightforce genesis 210's 50w hid's if your not worries about the $ or just the standard genesis ones, all are pretty much indestructible, I've sold stacks of em.

As for on the roof...you don't really get a shadow as your headlights fill any black spots.

Used to have a dual cab hilux with lightforce 240xgt's on the front and 4x170 stalkers with 50w hid kits on the roll bar. It's insane...like a mcg light tower coming down the road haha.
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Gregsy wrote:Lightforce genesis 210's 50w hid's if your not worries about the $ or just the standard genesis ones, all are pretty much indestructible, I've sold stacks of em.

As for on the roof...you don't really get a shadow as your headlights fill any black spots.

Used to have a dual cab hilux with lightforce 240xgt's on the front and 4x170 stalkers with 50w hid kits on the roll bar. It's insane...like a mcg light tower coming down the road haha.
Go the HID's on the bullbar and a 50" LED lightbar on the roof :mrgreen:
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
jdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jdog »

Genesis cant falt mine go the hids
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

HID headlight upgrade and a 30'' led light bar......
The led bars are good to 'infill' the headlights and the and the lightbar will work under water. HID headlights are pretty good at distance with an even spread ......I found 55w and 6000k to be a good choice for the headlights.
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Light bars are the go, Pay the extra for good ones

http://snakeracing.com.au/store/lightin ... 7c470f173d
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

It is illegal to have spot or driving lights on the roof
I know there are plenty of people getting around with them there but the law is the law
You are only allowed to have work lights up there

They are work lights officer,150 watt ones cause I have trouble seeing what I'm doing
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
shadymad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shadymad »

Had lightforce xgt spotties for 8 years now on the bullbar,only had to change globes once.Been under water plenty of times
and still goin strong.As shaggs said illegal to have roof lights also hid headlights as well if there not factory fitted.Can get hid upgrade
kits cheap from cooldrive if u want to upgrade just about any spotty and seal em up urself.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

shaggs wrote:It is illegal to have spot or driving lights on the roof
Thats what i thought as well

I got done in NSW for roof lights but looks like all systems go in the NT

but ...
There are no height restrictions with regard to mounting position.
http://www.transport.nt.gov.au/__data/a ... /ibv14.pdf

it also says
All lighting on motor vehicles must comply with the requirements of the Australian Vehicle Standards
Rules and Australian Design Rules.

Bit of a Contradiction i think
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

UncleD

Two waterproof HID spotties with eurobeams on the front of the vehicle. Don't forget eurobeams.Get good quality lights that meet the standard (IP67 I think it is) for water ingress. A lot don't. A pair of 50 watters will draw 4 amps each.

On the roof mount a LED lightbar of a minimum of 240 watts. Don't bother with anything under 240 watts. With either a combo beam or spot beam. LEDS are broad anyway so their spot is nothing like a true driving light spot/pencil beam. A 240 watt lightbar with 80 x 3 watt cree LEDs are about 42 inches long.

If possible get a lightbar with 10 watt cree LEDS making 24 LEDs. That'll draw 20 amps. The larger cups used in 10 watt LEDs have a longer "throw" distance than the 3 watters.

Mount it towards the back of the cabin and it won't light up the bonnet.

I've got 2 x 100 watt 225mm HIDs with eurobeams on the front and a 240 watt LED lightbar across the roof. The 2 low foglights are each 35 watt HIDs for road edges.

Simple and they work well.

Don't know where Shaggs gets his info from but I think he needs to change the source.

Don't think that Snakeracing or others (like Monsterlights) have the customer's interests high on the priority list judging by their prices. U can get pretty good quality lightbars like Hanma from China who'll sell u single units.
Regards
Ronje
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

ronje wrote:UncleD

Two waterproof HID spotties with eurobeams on the front of the vehicle. Don't forget eurobeams.Get good quality lights that meet the standard (IP67 I think it is) for water ingress. A lot don't. A pair of 50 watters will draw 4 amps each.

On the roof mount a LED lightbar of a minimum of 240 watts. Don't bother with anything under 240 watts. With either a combo beam or spot beam. LEDS are broad anyway so their spot is nothing like a true driving light spot/pencil beam. A 240 watt lightbar with 80 x 3 watt cree LEDs are about 42 inches long.

If possible get a lightbar with 10 watt cree LEDS making 24 LEDs. That'll draw 20 amps. The larger cups used in 10 watt LEDs have a longer "throw" distance than the 3 watters.

Mount it towards the back of the cabin and it won't light up the bonnet.

I've got 2 x 100 watt 225mm HIDs with eurobeams on the front and a 240 watt LED lightbar across the roof. The 2 low foglights are each 35 watt HIDs for road edges.

Simple and they work well.

Don't know where Shaggs gets his info from but I think he needs to change the source.

Don't think that Snakeracing or others (like Monsterlights) have the customer's interests high on the priority list judging by their prices. U can get pretty good quality lightbars like Hanma from China who'll sell u single units.
I stand corrected Ronge
It is what I was led to be believed after getting a yellow sticker for a pair I had on a vehicle in the late 70's
I guess I will have to use google from now on
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

My mate just got a defect sticker for having HID spotties on his bullbar. Had to remove the spotties before they would let it back on the road again.

He still has his LED light bar on the roof.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

I'll ask him what the go is as he has spent a bit of time now at the MVR. Lol
----------------------------
-----------------------------
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Sounds like cr.p , as long as they are switched so as to be independant of yet only usable when high beam is on and are only for off road use!
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Lots of misinformation out there Shaggs causing lots of confusion.

Some driving lights are canned 'cos they are too large for the mounting space and protrude in front of the bar thus becoming a safety issue. Some simply obstruct vision.

NT still plods along under its old Traffic Act although it eventually defers to ADRs. Most other places have a Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act or (similarly titled) that is based on the Aus Design Rules for motor vehicles. They threw out their Traffic Acts years ago.

And guess what the NT Traffic Act relies on? Regulatory offences again where bureaucrats can say that you did something wrong and u have little or no defence.

Anyway, here's the ADR (ADR 13) that relates to lighting and signalling devices on vehicles of the class we are talking about so u can make up your own mind.

Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 13/00 - Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles) 2005

7. INDIVIDUAL REQUIREMENTS

The following individual requirements are supplementary to the requirements of Appendix A. Where the installation of a lamp is indicated as optional , this means that it is not mandatory to fit the lamp, but if fitted, the lamp(s) are required to comply.

7.3. DRIVING LAMPS7.3.1.

Presence: Optional on motor vehicles. Prohibited on trailers.

7.3.2. Number:

7.3.2.1. Two or four.
7.3.2.2. To be used in conjunction with headlamps.

7.3.3. Arrangement

No individual specifications

7.3.4. Position

7.3.4.1. In width no individual specifications.

7.3.4.2. In height: no individual specifications.

7.3.4.3. In length: at the front of the vehicle and fitted in such a way that the light emitted does not cause discomfort to the driver
either directly or indirectly through the rear-view mirrors and/or other reflecting surfaces of the vehicle.

7.3.5. Geometric visibility

No individual specifications.

7.3.6. Orientation

Towards the front.

7.3.7. Electrical connections

The driving lamps must be able to be lighted only when the main-beam headlamps switch is in the “lamps on” position.

7.3.8. Tell tale:

No requirement.

7.3.9. Others

The aggregate maximum intensity of the main-beam headlamps as specified in paragraph 6.1.9.1 of Appendix A can be exceeded with

the fitment and illumination of driving lamps. Driving lamps do not have to comply with ADR 46/….

Uncle D

This legal bit is to help out the other contributers where they're not sure.

I hope the info previous to this helps with your original question.

Remember: Eirobeams and a min of 240 watt lightbar.
Regards
Ronje