battery/solar guru help.

makntracks
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

battery/solar guru help.

Post by makntracks »

Hi all,

Ive been searching and visiting some local shops around the place and still up in the air about my options.

I currently have a duel battery set up and I want to run a third battery in my new canopy fit out.
It will be running an 80l weaco full time, also some led light and and 600w inverter on occasion.

My options i can see and have been told are as follows. if there are other options that you can think of please let me know.

1.Run 130ish AH deep cycle off alternator with isolator and monitor V and start car as required.
2.Run deep cycle off ctek DC-DC from auxuilary battery and let it charge by that method.
3.Run a dedicated solar set up with no help from car. 120w panel and big deep cycle battery.
4. Run 120w panel to battery and also run charge from alternator.
5. http://redarc.com.au/products-and-servi ... -start-bms the most expensive method but maybe the best.

I have been to many shops and they all tell me the reason why the other shops product won't work and how i need to use their set up, so I've done some research and thought i would see if any one has done this set up before or could steer me in the wright direction.

Also i will be buying this set up within the next week or so if any one can recommend any good online shops or local shop that isn't 3 times the price.
Any info on battery size, brands, prices would also be great. I've been looking at solar panels on ebay has any one used any of these panels.

I don't really have a budget but i would like to get the most efficient setup possible that is going to last.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
And any feed back on local shops.

Cheers
Mick

AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: battery/solar guru help.

Post by AM »

Everybody seems to have a different story on the battery systems , espesially the manufacturers and resellers. I have had a 3 stage rotronics system in a L/C ute for 11 years, has moved through 3vehicles, very complicted and exy but it works.2 \110amp deep cycle in tray, 2 solar panels on roof only connected when ignition off through normally closed relay, theory being charge voltage from solar may dissrupt sampling system on rotronics while on altenator power.Good luck with it setting it up.u
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Double postT hub
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I’m assuming that you’re talking about an off roader setup?
It all comes down to the load. I think waceo and engel are inefficient compared to Autofridge. (Autofridge are exey but they use the eutectic system- I've had one for 20 odd years)
Get the biggest panel/s you can fit. Some are more efficient than others. Some work in part shade but aren’t as efficient as others when it comes to full sun.
Batteries are not batteries. The best are AGM. They can take higher charges and bigger amps for their size compared to lead acid ones. Must get/have a deep cycle.
Slip down to Ashdown Ingraham and tell them what you want to achieve. They are pretty helpful and will do a deal when you haggle
Forget the portable panels that you move around all day. They are a PIA.

Consider a small Honda 10i generator to top up when things are need an extra boost
NTFizzer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by NTFizzer »

Yeah I've gone the 1 kVA Honda Generator. Power when you need it.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

What you need is a VSR-voltage sensitive relay + 240v battery charger (for when your at home or powered site ect) and a 1kva pure sine wave inverter genny- such as honda. your altenater wont keep your battery charged unless you drive 4hrs a day- a 115 amp battery should keep your fridge running for 3 days camping without the genny .For longer trips take the genny and top up the battery every 1-2 days.
makntracks
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by makntracks »

Ok so i will go biggest panel i can fit.
around a 200Ah AGM battery.
Do the brands really matter on these battery there are some for around $400 on ebay compared to the $650 locally.
still not shore on how to string it all together. I would love to be able to plug it in to 240 and forget about it when im at a caravan park.
I will not be going for really long unsuported trips i think max would be a week with out power.
I just dont have the space to put a generator and its another 2000 for something i will not use very often.
Thank you for all the help so far.
Im thinking its starting to get a little complicated for me to wire up can any one suggest and good auto lec to do the wiring.
Thanx again
Mick
SteveB
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by SteveB »

Mate I know little about recharging batteries or the type to get. I do know that at least twice I would have missed seeing a state of origin game two years ago when the power went out in the street, if I didn't have my Honda 10i. I will never not have a genny to take me through the cyclone season, and for when I go fishing camping. They are the ducks guts and great peace of mind.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~Patrick F. McManus
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Mate- Ive got a Bush Power genny 1kva- same dimentions and exactlly the same features as a honda- cost $450 delivered! It runs all night on 3.5 litrs of fuel and doesnt take up much space at all.