A new home for Leviathan

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

A new home for Leviathan

Post by AM »

I was just not using the boat enough since leaving the NT in 2016 so it was decision time an what to do with her. Eventually I was finally driven mad by the untold multitudes of people swarming the local boat ramps around Moreton Bay. The roads are also a bit of a nightmare for towing boats that big around as everybody is in a hurry and stop start traffic jams are no fun towing 3.5 tonnes. We decided that we would give a year or so with boat at the Fraser Island house and see how much we use it up there.
Work under way on keel skids.jpg
Getting there.jpg
Ready for the boat back on.jpg
A few pics attached of a bit of a skid rebuild on the trailer was in order to ready it for beach launching the big girl and eventually we are ready to go up the beach to leviathan’s new home on Fraser Island.
I had the trip up the beach run planned for late June. This was just after we got back from an NT road trip with a week fishing with ghound. Lowest tide of the month and good sand around the rocks were as expected but the 40mm of rain two days prior was just pure ass. I had towed the boat to Gympie a couple of weeks prior to get it serviced and have a complete check-up at Watsons Marine before taking it over. They do good work and will go over to the Island a few times a year to service and repair any of the boats up there as required.
No problems on and of the barge at least which can be difficult towing something this big. Although I had a couple of mates in support vehicles with me, the rain on the Island meant I towed all the way in without assistance. Even cutting across behind Indian head and the track over to Waddy Point were done slow and steady without a hitch up. Few more pics to give some scale to the exercise.
Inskip point waiting for the barge.jpg
On the short trip over to Hook point.jpg
Photo op at the wreck of the Maheno..jpg
Once there we made some modifications to the brakes and fitted a new winch post over the next couple of days. We also added a new 9500lb runva electric winch 80:1 to the new post to pull it up fast. No drive ons up there with surf launch and retrieves only.
Tucked in nicely beside the house ready to start work..jpg
New winch post and winch.jpg
New cover fits well for less than $500 bucks.jpg
A short walk up to a mate’s place to grab the tractor and then a wait on the weather which is always an issue on Fraser.
Its a bit of a mission but Jethro has trained me for this.jpg
As it turned out we had no luck with the weather on the first trip taking her up but there are a few fish pics of some trips since. I have a lot to suss out there as I haven’t fished offshore there for probably 16 years. Could dig up some old images of the years prior if anybody is interested in the old days.
Nice September morning.jpg
Whales think so too.jpg
A few more parrot closer to Xmas.jpg
One for the boss.jpg
Thats just showing off.jpg
Back in time for lunch with the parrot bag limit..jpg
Not sure when we will be up again but will be before Easter might get some more fish pics then.

After all this time I figured out how to put the pics in between text :o :o :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: A new home for Leviathan

Post by Matt Flynn »

Still working the big rigs AM. Great to see an old face on here again.

Big reds out that way I assume. See a lot of pics from around 1770.

Weather looks good. Half your luck :mrgreen:
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Need more time on the water to find the reds, the way it looks Matt. Not quite as easy as it used to be out there but I haven’t been out to the marks in the deeper water yet. Just feeling my way ATM. I’ll let you know when I find em. Hopefully before the Ghound gets down for a trip to Fraser.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I wondered what happened to Ghound, said years ago on here he was contemplating a Tassie move.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cheers AM, good luck with the exploration

If you decide she belongs up here park her at mine :D :D
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Matt Flynn wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:07 pm I wondered what happened to Ghound, said years ago on here he was contemplating a Tassie move.
Nothing has happened to Ghound he is still in fit and well in Darwin. I fished out of Channel Point and Bynoe with him in May of 2021 over a couple of weeks
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

theodosius wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:13 am Cheers AM, good luck with the exploration

If you decide she belongs up here park her at mine :D :D
Thanks but I think she will be staying at the Island :D